Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, also a new guy here. Bought my Titan Nov. 20th. I've been reading alot of the threads on the subject of oil. I'd like to pass on some "food for thought" I read an article in an aviation magazine that talked about attaching magnets to the side of the steel filter housing. What a simple idea! I started doing that to my 86' Nissan Hardbody and with close to 1/2 million miles with no engine work done the magnet idea might just have some merit. I have run Havoline oil since day one and the inside of the little 4 banger had a "golden" tone like it was treated with alodine. No sludge build-up.
The point I'm trying to make is you have a new engine "wearing" itself in. Metal to metal shaving slivers of metal that is floating around in the oil. What better way to "collect" those shavings and metal dust than with a magnet stuck to the outside of the filter housing. When I cut open the filter you can see the metal dust collected on the inside of the filter housing. Radio Shack carries little 1/4" magnets that are very strong, not the synthetic magnets. If you change your own oil you just swap the magnets from the old filter to the new one after you cut open the old filter. It's just a simple way to "assist" the filter in doing it's job.
My background is Aviation Maintenance, 30+ years, A/P IA. General Aviation & Corporate Jet
Thanks for providing this Forum to share ideas and thoughts and sorry for being so long-winded. Luckly for you guys I read more than I post!! Happy Holidays! :idea:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I'd say its worth a try. I'll throw some magnets on when I change my oil next time. What could it hurt?
thanks for the idea.
M4ck

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
they sell oil plugs that have a magnent built into them, just like the rear end plug. I dont know why they would put a magnetic plug back there but not in the engine. all of the atv's Ive ever owned have these in them from the factory, they work great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same concept as the drain plug on the lower unit of an outboard boat motor - the bottom of the plug is a magnet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FilterMag

Oil filter magnets are also produced commercially...check out www.filtermag.com. You can buy these in various sizes depending on if you race, etc.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks, planemech, for the tip. Hadn't really thought about it, but it makes sense. The more...the merrier! Anyway to stop metal shavings from circulating has got to help.

And thanks to you,V...for the link. Now while you're postin', how's about putin' one in the "New Member" section and tell everyone you're here. :wink: Welcome!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I haven't done it to the titan yet, but I have a rather large magnet on the side of my oil pan on the Scout, and a couple smaller ones I put on the filter. It may not help much, or at all, but what can it hurt?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've heard of this before and figured it was a gimmick. Glad to see someone with technical experience that used it with success. I have a few questions, though:

just swap the magnets from the old filter to the new one after you cut open the old filter
Why do you have to cut open the old oil filter? Can't you just remove the magnet and place it on the new filter?

Also, if you place another magnet on the oil pan, do you remove it at each oil change so the shavings are drained with the old oil?

I'm really interested in using this on my Titan as well as my Bronco!

Oh, one more thing, Performance Products sells the FilterMAG, which is a fancy version of what you guys are talking about.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Hey Highgeer thanks for that link thats great.
M4ck

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOOHP!

Damn, I just returned my X this morning. Knew I forgot something....

Yeah, I had some old hard drives, the magnets in those things are extremely stong. I just stuck them on the sides of the filter and changed them with oil changes to the new filter. They work, but dont exect much crap on them unless your engine is in baaad shape.

I also put one on the fuel lines on the X just before the fuel rail, on a plastic section. I planned to pull the tubes off at 50K and run them with a pipecleaner to see what I caught... but I sold it at 45K. Oops.

It won't save your engine.. but it cant hurt, and i you can get the magnets for free... do it.

FYI don't get your fingers in between those magnets, they are generally strong enough to hurt f they snap together, and god help ya if they ever get stuck together. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Funny thing about those filtermags ...

They all seem to carry a disclaimer regarding aircraft ...

Sort of makes ya wonder what potential problems might theoretically exist ....

:D

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Bill_N said:
Funny thing about those filtermags ...

They all seem to carry a disclaimer regarding aircraft ...

Sort of makes ya wonder what potential problems might theoretically exist ....

I'm not sure if you're seriously asking a question or joking so I'll throw in an answer to your question for those who aren't familiar with A/C. Magnets throw off the navigational computers in A/C so it's not a wise idea to use them. I'm thinking you already knew that but I'm guessing others who are not familiar with A/C might not have known.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was being just a bit sardonic ... sorry ...

When I read planemech's post about having read about putting magnets on the oil filter in an aviation magazine ....

I got to thinking about all of the conversion kits that I had seen put on small aircraft to move the oil filter off of the accessory case and onto the firewall ....

And then I got to thinking ....

That directly behind that firewall ... in many cases ... is the magnetic compass ....

It would be like carrying your own "Devil's Triangle" around with you ...

LOL ....

·
Registered
40 Posts
rb42 said:
Yeah, I had some old hard drives, the magnets in those things are extremely stong.
Ok - I've got a couple of old hard drives that no longer work... do I just pull apart the case and I'll see the magnets? I knew I was keeping that junk around for good reason!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts