Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to remove a stubborn oil filter? The filter is pretty banged up after my futile efforts.

It simply has not budged. I've already drained the oil and I'm not sure if the filter has a hole in it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Puncture the side with a screw driver if you can't get a filter wrench to work.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
exactly thats what I had to do this last time. Just smash that screw driver right through the side and out the other. She will turn for sure then.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Glad I'm no the only that has had to do that. 8)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I used a 12" pipe wrench on the OEM filter that factory installed. guy installing them at the factory is definetly eating his Wheaties 8O :!:

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
I went to autozone and got one of those cap filter wrenches that your 3/8" socket wrench fits in. Finally got it with that. Then put the new one on with it, but don't eat your wheaties that day :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Usually stuck Oil Filters are the result of not rubbing oil onto the gasket prior to installing the filter. This really helps when it's time to remove the filter. Something my Dad taught me over 30 years ago... Oooops showing my age now.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
dram56 said:
Usually stuck Oil Filters are the result of not rubbing oil onto the gasket prior to installing the filter. This really helps when it's time to remove the filter. Something my Dad taught me over 30 years ago... Oooops showing my age now.
Yeh I always do that. Helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
put oil on threads of filter also

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you! I had to take a thin knife and a hammer to break the seal. I then used an oil wrench to get it off. Plus lots of praying!

At 2800 miles, the oil was filthy! My buddy told me to do it at 400 miles but I forgot. I'm just glad that's over!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts