Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know oil pressure varies spiking when cold and it normalizes when the engine reaches normal temps BUT, lately I've noticed that my oil pressure gauge indicates a slight waivering of oil pressure when I get off the freeway and stop at the light. At normal temps, the needle normally sits just to the right (high side) of the middle mark but, the needle drops to or just below the middle mark, waivering slightly when stopped after a freeway run. I'm just concerned this might be a precursor to the cat failure/ engine replacement I've heard about from one or two people that had engines replaced. Does anyone else have this??

I'm running 5w-30 Mobil 1 w/OEM filter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
at an idle you should run below the half mark and when running normal speed it should be above so the pressure dropping after you stop is normal but I'm not sure about the wavering of the needle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have seen this on my Titan. Only at stop lights, the oil pressure will rest just to the right of the center mark. However if you sit idle for more than five seconds or so, the needle will start to bounce to the left of the center mark. Now people would quickly like to point a finger at the sensor. The problem is I can hear the change in the motor (ie difference in oil pressure) which means the needle is correctly showing me what my ears are telling me. Something is bogging the motor at idle. I am concerned about this as well and am going to bring it up to the dealer when I get my 30k work completed.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You are not a low on oil are you? Without seeing how much it is wavering, this could be normal. Have you just noticed it?

Could be the oil pressure sensor (or wire trying to work loose). Who did last oil change, may have knocked it or a wire loose since it is right next to the oil filter. But it is worth running it in to the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I change my own oil and I am not low on oil. The thing is it does not always do it...only sometimes. Something in the motor is not quite right...now if it is normal for the Titan...than I am fine with it. I pay very close attention to my gauges and for the first 25k, I never saw the needle move. Only in the last 10k has it started doing that. I first thought it was needing a oil change, but I changed it and the problem was quickly back. When I get to the dealer and can show them, will report back their findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently had the same problem. I have run mobile one 7500 with a fram oil filter ever since I bought the truck brand new... never had a problem. I recently change over to mobile one synthetic truck and suv blend with the fram filter and began to notice this fluctuating oil pressure after about 1500 miles... I thought I just might not have never noticed it. Well, after putting 2600 miles on the filter and oil I changed the oil and filter to mobile one regular full synthetic and a mobile one extended performance filter and the issue has not reoccured since. This has only been a for a day or so of hard driving but I am guessing something with the oil or filter is different. If something changes I will post again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Low Oil Pressure at Idol

I have a 2004 Titan Se crew cab with 84000 miles on it. Recently the oil pressure has started to drop when I am at idol. This only happens when I drive it for 15 min. When it is first started or if I do not drive it it stays above a half at idol. It now drops down to about 1/8 of the guage when at idol. The dealership said that is is putting out 19 psi at idol and that if it was at 14 psi they would replace the motor. They tried the sending unit with no result. If you have any suggestions or feedback please reply. Thanks.
Derrick

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
titan123 said:
I have a 2004 Titan Se crew cab with 84000 miles on it. Recently the oil pressure has started to drop when I am at idol. This only happens when I drive it for 15 min. When it is first started or if I do not drive it it stays above a half at idol. It now drops down to about 1/8 of the guage when at idol. The dealership said that is is putting out 19 psi at idol and that if it was at 14 psi they would replace the motor. They tried the sending unit with no result. If you have any suggestions or feedback please reply. Thanks.
Derrick
I can't imagine your engine is worn out with 84K miles, possible, but highly unlikely. Why did the dealership try a new sending unit if they confirmed 19psi at idle? I don't have the spec sheet on hand but 19psi at normal operating temp. while idling sounds perfectly fine. Do you know if the oil has been changed frequently during its 84K miles and what weight of oil are you using? If this progresses to a lower value I would think the dealership would start by replacing the by-pass valve first and then perhaps an oil pump. Maybe someone else will post the service manual specs for oil pressure but I see nothing wrong with 19psi. Can anyone post those specs????

·
High Maintenance FIC
1,109 Posts
Maybe a suggestion here. Next time you notice this look at your RPMs. Sometimes the RPMs will fluctuate slightly right after you come to a complete stop. I'm not sure if it's the torque converter, or just the Idle management, but it does it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Idle speed reading should be 14 psi. That is factory spec. So according to their own reading, you are actually 5 psi high.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
19 PSI at idle is fine.
See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the help. My titan has had its oil changes every 3k miles. I think I am running 5w30 oil because its winter but the pressure steadily dropped over the last couple of months. When it is first started or if I leave it at idol the oil pressure sets at 1/2 on the guage. It is only after i drive it that the pressure drops. The first couple times that I took it to the dealership in CO they didnt run the truck and insisted that there was nothing wrong with it. I think this is when they did the oil pressure read out. I actually had to drive the truck when they were wanting to give it back to show them what it was doing. They then aggreed that sompthing was wrong and changed the sending unit. I did not think this was going to be the fix but I let them try. I think I should try another dealership. I do not think they did a read out after I drove it. Do you think it could be a bad guage? The only thing that is throwing me off is that it doesn't do it when cool or if it sits at idol I actually have to drive it to make it do it. Thanks guys.
Derrick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to give an update on changing the oil and filter... I have put about 1200 miles on the new oil and filter and the problem still has NOT reappeared. I should have cut open the filter to check and see if something was blocked but I didn't. I would suggest trying another filter for those who had the problem happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
how is the oil pump driven? it has to be normal for the pump loose safe pressure when RPMS go down. mine does the same thing. gotta be one of those things. truck runs super strong and no overheating promblems.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
The oil pump is at the front of the engine, driven by the crank. It is a positive displacement pump, so the volume of the oil pumped varies directly with engine RPM. Excess oil is released through the pressure relief valve. The relief valve keeps the pressure almost constant after the oil heats up. When the engine (and oil) is cold the pressure will be higher, especially at higher RPM, because the relief valve can't pass all the excessive oil due to the higher viscosity when cold.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
FWIW, I have been watching my oil pressure guage over the past week. It doesn't move off of the mid line no matter what. It goes right there after startup and stays there even at WOT. I only have 700 miles on the truck so maybe things are still quite tight.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been noticing for about a month and a half now that it normally sits at center with normal driving and stops, but when hitting it hard, the guage fluctuates to about half of the guage to the high side. Once I let off the gas, she goes right back to the center line. It is a dramatic fluctuation too. Been like that for 2 oil changes now...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
super old thread, but has anyone figure this one out?

my 05 started going this recently, and vibrating excessively when doing so.

My mechanic upped the idle rpms, but that has killed my mileage by 25%! Going to have him revert.
Have had oil analysis done on my last two changes, and everything looked good.

I just Kendall GT-1 full syn 5w-30 and always the stock nissan filter.

I will check my exhaust system (NISMO catback) for cracks and bad hangers, maybe that is causing the excessive vibration, and the rpms/oil pressure is nothing to worry about - but just doesn't seem normal after having the truck for 12 year, and not noticing it before!

thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know oil pressure varies spiking when cold and it normalizes when the engine reaches normal temps BUT, lately I've noticed that my oil pressure gauge indicates a slight waivering of oil pressure when I get off the freeway and stop at the light. At normal temps, the needle normally sits just to the right (high side) of the middle mark but, the needle drops to or just below the middle mark, waivering slightly when stopped after a freeway run. I'm just concerned this might be a precursor to the cat failure/ engine replacement I've heard about from one or two people that had engines replaced. Does anyone else have this??

Same issue started when I changed the oil cooler o ring

Same issue started when I changed the leaking oil cooler o ring from a frame filter coincidence or cause after much reading I now beleive this is causedby the oil pressure switch/relief valve if these stick open we lose pressure when removing oil cocooler it is exposed possibly debris from inside oil cooler breaks loose sticking it open this is common must b a simple cause

1 - 20 of 20 Posts