Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need an equalizer hitch. I trailer my '87 Monte Carlo SS all of the time.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You simply need to redistribute the weight. You are way far forward on the trailer, thus the excess tongue weight. The car is a relatively moderate load at 4000# plus trailer. The CC can tow up to 9400#. Balance the load (weight wise) centered on the trailers dual axles, but with appropriate hitch weight (10-15% of the total).

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 on the car being too far forward on the trailer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
to be honest, as far forward as that car is, the truck looks to be sitting well...especially if you have a leveling kit. looks to be at least 70% of the cars weight on the hitch then add in the trailers a frame leverage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
By the way why have you got XE steelies on your titan and not the heavy metal 20s like your avatar pic has???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purposely put the car father ahead on the trailer to intentionally put the extra tongue weight on the truck as I was going to pulling the trailer through some serious rough roads and didn't want car to be lifting up on the back of the truck going over the huge heaves and trenches.

BTW...the steelies are on there with mounted Blizzaks for traction in the winter months and for this trip the 20" chromes are at home ready to be put back on. ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Trailered the Frontier with stuff loaded in its bed and under the truck from VA to TX, through the mountains of NC & TN. Had to stop a couple times initially to get the weight dist correct. But after a couple stops, no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
A simple, but expensive, weight distribution hitch would be a better fit for this tow. Don't get me wrong, they ain't cheap, but they ain't as expensive as a 3/4 ton either.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Do you have a leveling kit on the T ? It looks like the rear didn't go down very far but the front went up. I tow a car that weighs about 3,000 lb but my trailer is probably heavier than yours because it has steel diamond plate decks, and when I hitch it to my 05 T (without lift or leveling kit), the truck just levels out, even without a weight distributing hitch.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Towed a 6500lb trailer down to Texas from Alaska going through the steep Canadian Rockies. Not a lick of problems except the lights and wheel bearings going out on the trailer. Used to trailer a 62 Volvo p1800 around to car shows too. Never an issue. Weight distribution is the key. If you are going to move the car forward like that intentionally, you have to use a weight distribution hitch. Like someone said above, they are not cheap. I think the cheapest I have seen was about $500.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have no issues dragging the skidsteer around, even in the snow. Total weight of the trailer + machine is around 9k.

·
Registered
334 Posts
fishing rig is about 6500 lbs loaded , truck still has rake and tows like it hardly there.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
agreed on the hitch another option is to add airlift airbags to level the truck when the trailer is hocked up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts