Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: On 09/24/10 the dealership says they have narrowed the issue down to a "sub-harness" that comes off the main electrical harness. I'm told they haven't found a short, but there is "nothing else that it could be". I'm told it has to be ordered directly from a warehouse in Japan and will cost $500 for the part alone.

Anybody ever heard of this type of issue / problem?

INITIAL WRITING:
Original owner of 2006 Titan with 42K miles.

I'm bringing my travel trailer (8000lbs) back from beach, crossing a bridge at about 60 mph when the slip, abs and SES lights come on. I also notice the temperature gauge is reading nothing. I'm only 5 miles from home and continue on.

Get home, trailer parked and truck sounds like it's reving high in park, maybe 2400 rpm. Turn it off.

Try to start 1 hour later to go to store, hard start, white smoke, will not stay running. I was thinking bad gas.

Towed to dealership, the one I bought it from and they have always done the work. The ipmd board is bad, I'll pay for that and ECU is shot, they will cover that under warranty. (Emissions)

Mechanic gets it fixed, but temperature gauge still doesn't work, gives no visual reading on gauge. When he takes it for a test drive the engine heats up to X point and the ECU shuts down engine for being hot. I was told that Temperature wasn't HOT, it was just being read that way by ECU or reported that way by Temp. Sensor.

Any suggestions? Dealership said they contacted Nissan support who has never seen this issue before. Possible the new ECU was bad?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The only harness I recall being an issue, is one above the exhaust. It will get melted if the exhaust has a leak. I don't recall what goes wrong when it does, but it was a lot of weird things.

·
Registered
317 Posts
you really need to find the schematic that includes the crosstalk from the ECU to the temp sensor. its hard to say, not knowing what role the temp sensor plays "in the big picture" and what would be affected if any of that is bad. idk how much the temp sensor is but for the hell of it i would replace it. it could be possible to have an open or a short but i would think unlikely. could also have voltage bleed off back into the ecu if 2 wires are shorted together, and could also cause it to get cooked possibly. what codes were there?

when you got home you said you thought it was revving at 2400rpm...is it or is it not? does your rpm gauge not work either?? maybe it is doing its "warmup"(~1200rpm) controlled by the ECU because the temp sensor isnt relaying that the engine is warm. i would find it hard to see a ECU being bad if its brand new...but again possible lol.

also like titanblue said run back and take a look at the harness above the exhaust/muffler area. makes sure its not cooked. i cant remember what people said happened w/ that.

first off though, to make it easier i personally would just replace the temp sensor and see what happens. once you do that you can pretty much ensure its wiring with possibility of a bad ECU....again. idk just throwing things out there. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts