Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has been overheating for the last 10 months. I replaced the fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, overflow cap, and two or three coolant flushes.

It wouldn't overheat right away..and if driving on the highway, the temp guage would move back and forth.. acting as if it had an air pocket in it.

I got a new radiator cap..I forget where exactly, but it was the kind with a spring: the same kind I had on before.

After a lil research, I found out it was the radiator cap. The spring is a big no-no.

If you can only find a radiator cap with a spring, no worries. Get a pair of pliars, and just remove the inner spring. and everything that works with the spring. That's what I did..and today my truck was reading 88 degrees. I had the A/C on and drove around for an hour or so in stop and go traffic. Needle never budged from its normal resting spot.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did you end up buying an OEM or cut the spring on the one you had? Glad to hear your cooled off! Heat is no friend to that aluminum configuration of our engines. Some times it's the simplest thing that causes the most problems. If you have the OEM radiator you might want to keep an eye on it. Allot of them have failed with no prior heating problems. Good luck staying cool!!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Yes, the Spring type Cap can be a big No-No. The entire system has to be free to circulate, as the bottle is not a typical overflow bottle, but a pressurized part of the design. I used a Spring Type Cap and soon replaced my radiator due to a blown seam. Apparently, our real problem is the system cannot handle the flow rate at high RPM's.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the weird thing is, at about 50k miles, the radiator blew out. Passanger side, lower crack. The common blow out lol

So in went a new factory radiator. That new radiator also had a spring loaded cap. 20k+ miles went..I removed the radiator cap to replace that hose clamp right there at the neck..that's when all my issues started.

I bought a new cap, which also had a spring, ..still overheated so I figured that wasn't the problem.

Yes, all I did was remove the spring. Took me 3min to do. Looks kinda ghetto on the inside.. as a section can't be removed, but who is going to see it?

Been running A/C all day no issues!

·
Registered
1 Posts
well guys I dont think my 2010 has a spring in the cap but I will check it out. Just put a new fan clutch on it Cuz it had all the symptoms of bad clutch. Over heating while sitting still dang that change out was a pain in the buttox too. Lol. Yall please keep throwing ideals out there cause I came close twice now to cracking the block it got so hot. I was on a trip outta town it just snuck up on mecbf gcb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts