Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When 4 wheel disk brake became standard on 1/2 ton trucks the parking brake systems became use- less.. Under normal driving this not a concern.. However if you are like me and your truck is your tow vehicle and you launch and retrieve boats or water toys then the launch ramp is where the lack of hold- ing power is what gets me.. When a truck is equipped with tow package there should be some atten- sion given there.. My corcern here is when shifting trans from park to drive at the ramp.. Loaded or not the park paw in trans is holding the load and can be damaged due to the lack of holding power of park- ing brake..

I am setting up a Line Lock brake holding system for all 4 wheels to help relieve that excessive load dur- ing the loading or unloading process.. The hydroliac brakes will hold and releave load on trans..

I can't be the only person to have this concern and I wonder why vehicle builders have not addressed this condition earlier..

The only builder to even address a similar condition is Subaru when they built the hill holder system for there standard transmission vehicles..

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree. I have even tried adjusting the e-brake to no avail. On really steep ramps, I use wheel chocks on the back wheels of the truck when launching my heavier boat. I have my partner(s) set the chocks, before I put it in park. Then there is no stress on the parking paw of the tranny. Where in Jersey are you from?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a lake boater,, all of our jet skies and boats are kept in the North corner of Cresent Cove on Lake Hopatcong.. We have a house there but we live in Long Valley.. I have a 05 Rinker 232,, a 05 SeaDoo RXT,, a 90 SeaDoo SPI and a 99 Yamaha WaveRunner III.. We also have a 2000 Regal 1700 B/R..

Where do you do your boating,, what type boat and where are you from???

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The new Dodges have hill assist on them. So does the Ford Raptor. Hopefully this will become a standard feature on trucks. I have launched a few boats with my truck as well. The chocks work, but like you said something else needs to be done

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have to agree that our e-brake is completely useless....

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am a lake boater,, all of our jet skies and boats are kept in the North corner of Cresent Cove on Lake Hopatcong.. We have a house there but we live in Long Valley.. I have a 05 Rinker 232,, a 05 SeaDoo RXT,, a 90 SeaDoo SPI and a 99 Yamaha WaveRunner III.. We also have a 2000 Regal 1700 B/R..

Where do you do your boating,, what type boat and where are you from???
PM sent today

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tow with my truck (not boats), and have not had any issue with my parking brake. A few questions: 1) how heavy are these boats? 2) what is the incline angle on these boat ramps?

Seems to me that if your parking brake shoes are in good shape and properly adjusted, this shouldn't be an issue. I say this because I haven't heard any SuperDuty owners complaining of the same issue - and they have the same type of parking brake setup as the Titan (rear discs with internal drum parking brake system). Yes, the parking brake shoes are small in comparison to the older rear drum brakes were, but ALL they do is provide holding power, not stopping power, hence the smaller size.

So, I wonder if your parking brake system is working properly, or if it needs some attention to bring it back to correct operation. BTW, for those of you that might say I don't know what I'm talking about, here's a bit about me:

I've owned a 2005 Titan SE KC 4x4 Big Tow/OR Pkg since 3/05 when I purchased it new, and it currently has 189,700 miles on it. I've been an ASE-certified Diesel Mechanic since 1989 (Master Certified in M/H Truck and Automotive for almost 20 years). I've won numerous Technician competitions at the state and national level, and I've worked on commercial trucks that see way more abuse and neglect than even the worst non-commercial (regular joe) driver.

Just my thoughts on your parking brake issues. Doesn't mean I'm right, but I suspect you need to pull the wheels and inspect those shoes.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The parking brake has much better holding power if the truck is facing down hill, but when facing uphill, like on a boat launch, does not hold as good. I have adjusted the shoes to spec's and adjusted the pedal to spec's, just like described in the service manual, with very little help. Shoes still look like new. Personally, I think it does not exert enough shoe pressure on the drums.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Understood. True, the holding power in reverse is less. Unless these boats are extremely heavy, or the ramp angle is excessive, it really shouldn't be an issue if everything is working properly. Again, I have no personal experience with boats, but I tow regularly (MX/ATV racing) and have not experienced any issues with parking brake holding power.

Are the shoes/drum surface glazed? Any oil on them from a leaking axle seal? You could try a little sandpaper on the shoes and drum surface to remove any glazing - it may help. Maybe it has something to do with the shoes getting wet when you back into the water on the ramp?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Next time in, I will sand the shoes and drums a bit. Will take a look @ next rotation. My boat/trailer combination weights in at about 5000 lbs with fuel and gear. Another issue I have to deal with is, my trailer is a drive on/back off trailer. If the water is not deep enough to nearly float the boat when backed in at the ramp, the boat in reverse can actually pull the trailer and truck down the ramp a bit, especially if it is wet. Again, another reason I use chocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have the same issues when on the boat ramp. The parking brake is probably one of the things on the TITAN that has really pissed me off on simple design alone. I have it as tight as it can be and that just barely holds my single trailer loaded with two stand up jet skis on it at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the truck in Park or Neutral? If it's in Neutral, try leaving it in Park. If the truck still moves then it's the tires are slipping on the surface of the ramp and the parking brake is not the issue. You won't hurt the trans - the tires will slip on the ramp first.

Your trailer/boat combo is not heavy, so your truck shouln't have any issue holding the angle on the ramp. If the boat was 9,000 lbs and the ramp was steep, then *maybe* I could see a possible issue. HTH!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard that Dodge and Ford may have a hill holder system.. I don't know.. I hope they work as well as the system that Subaru's uses on there standard trans vehicles..

However that system releases with clutch pedal.. All Titans are automatics.. Park is the only option.. While working at the ramp with engine running,, neutral with only parking brake is not a option.. When loading or unloading trailers boats can push or pull tow vehicle around the ramp.. That type of drive-line abuse is something that can cause trans damage...

If the braking system is used by holding pressure on the brakes during the load and unload process the shock is kept at the wheels and wear on parking gear is reduced..

If there is any question about parking gear failure I suggest watching the move RV with Robin Williams.. Wheel chocks work well when you remember them..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've had the same problems as everyone has mentioned above, I pull a 21' malibu wakesetter VLX (~5.5-6k fully loaded)and the idiot who designed the boat ramp out here was out of his mind, it is extremely steep. The ramp is so bad infact most trucks have to go into 4x4 to pull their boats back out of the water.
I've readjusted the parking brake numerous times... My solution is to have one of my buddies keep his foot on the brake pedal while I launch :)
I understand not everyone has this luxury, but it's the best I have been able to come up with lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow this is a great concern to me as I have just bought a new boat i have recently looked at the titan because my small truck will not be able to handle the stress of the new boat. Bare all model titans like this I am looking at an 04 and a reason I mined his forum to find out more information on the Titan and it's pros and cons. Should I be looking elsewhere as pulling towing of my boat is what I want a bigger truck for. I don't need a new truck and boat going into the lakes or river on me

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just read something About smaller brakes on 07 and older if I'm looking at the 04 how do I know if it's still the small brakes and is it easy to get newer and bigger brakes put on how much would that cost. I'm getting bummed you can pull the heck out of stuff but does no good if u can't stop or hold it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What kinda boats are y'all pulling big ib engines on bajas or what I have a 1872 John boat flat hull 29 inch SidEs with a 115 shouldn't even be close to the inboard ones so question is is it because of the Extreme loads

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tow a 25' 1/2",, CC,, IO Rinker 232,, on trailer 6995#

1 - 18 of 18 Posts