Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story is a couple months old -- reposting in case you missed it.

When I first got the Titan, I knew the parking brake was not right. It hardly held. In fact, I drove it one day a few miles, looked at the dash - the light was on. The brake was fully depressed and there was no resistance whatsoever -- that's how loose it was.

Prior-to a trip to West. Va., I called the dealer and asked if I could bring it in for an adjustment prior-to the trip. They couldn't squeeze me in, so I called the dealership in West. Va., and they said bring it in the next day, no problem.

I never back my truck into my driveway -- I am always nose-in, but while packing for the trip, I backed it in, put it in N., and applied the brake. On the slight incline of the driveway, the truck stared rolling forward, so I knew my parking brake was out of whack.

At the dealer in West Va., it turned out, the parking brake was never connected at the factory. They re-connected at the dealership and and it's now tighter than a drum.

The reason I mention this again is a friend of mine with a Titan told me recently his parking brake isn't worth a damn right now -- I told him of my problem and he's going to have it checked out. He tried my adjusted, actually -- CONNECTED brake and couldn't believe the difference.

A correctly adjusted parking brake on a Titan is TIGHT. Trust me. - Jim

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
This is a good head's up. Thanks. I'll check mine. Don't remember the last time I applied it, so can't think back now to how it felt.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Here's another tidbit of useful information. The emergency brake system uses a seperate set of brake pads inside the rear rotors so you don't have to worry about applying them when they're hot. Just thought I'd toss that in here because it is a nice system..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Since we're on the subject of parking brakes... Am I in the minority since I use my parking brake all the time? Whenever I get in one of our fleet work trucks the parking brakes are never set. Whenever I ride with someone I notice they never use the parking brake. Maybe it is because I drove a manual for many years where the parking brake is more important to have set.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetTech said:
Here's another tidbit of useful information. The emergency brake system uses a seperate set of brake pads inside the rear rotors so you don't have to worry about applying them when they're hot. Just thought I'd toss that in here because it is a nice system..
That's where "whatever" was disconnected -- in the rear someplace. I don't remember all the details, but they said they had to remove one of the rear tires to reconnect whatever was dis-connected.

Damn... and I "technical" or what? - Jim

·
Registered
153 Posts
Caltitan said:
Since we're on the subject of parking brakes... Am I in the minority since I use my parking brake all the time? Whenever I get in one of our fleet work trucks the parking brakes are never set. Whenever I ride with someone I notice they never use the parking brake. Maybe it is because I drove a manual for many years wear the parking brake is more important to have set.
Cali,
I use my parking brake all the time, too. I have a somewhat steep driveway, and just don't feel good about leaving all that 2 1/2 tons of Titan hanging on the parking pawl in the transmission.

The only time I worry about it is this time of year when we get plenty of freezing precip. I haven't had a frozen parking brake yet...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Caltitan said:
Since we're on the subject of parking brakes... Am I in the minority since I use my parking brake all the time? Whenever I get in one of our fleet work trucks the parking brakes are never set. Whenever I ride with someone I notice they never use the parking brake. Maybe it is because I drove a manual for many years wear the parking brake is more important to have set.
I always use mine also. There is just something about that clunk sound you always hear automatics make when yanking them out of park that makes me cringe. :) Plus I've seen many people not pass inspections because there unused parking brake gets stuck on during the inspection. Besides, I'm sure they put it there for a reason so I might just as well use it. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
340ciTitan said:
This story is a couple months old -- reposting in case you missed it.

When I first got the Titan, I knew the parking brake was not right. It hardly held. In fact, I drove it one day a few miles, looked at the dash - the light was on. The brake was fully depressed and there was no resistance whatsoever -- that's how loose it was.

Prior-to a trip to West. Va., I called the dealer and asked if I could bring it in for an adjustment prior-to the trip. They couldn't squeeze me in, so I called the dealership in West. Va., and they said bring it in the next day, no problem.

I never back my truck into my driveway -- I am always nose-in, but while packing for the trip, I backed it in, put it in N., and applied the brake. On the slight incline of the driveway, the truck stared rolling forward, so I knew my parking brake was out of whack.

At the dealer in West Va., it turned out, the parking brake was never connected at the factory. They re-connected at the dealership and and it's now tighter than a drum.

The reason I mention this again is a friend of mine with a Titan told me recently his parking brake isn't worth a damn right now -- I told him of my problem and he's going to have it checked out. He tried my adjusted, actually -- CONNECTED brake and couldn't believe the difference.

A correctly adjusted parking brake on a Titan is TIGHT. Trust me. - Jim
Did they charge you anything?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Mine works, I use it all the time b/c my g/f's driveway is an incline and I don't like to put it in "P" and let it roll back an inch and have to hear the tranny "POP" when I get back in it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I always use mine too. I even pop in in neutral for a sec after I set the brake to take up any "slack" before I put it in park. I used to have a van with a frozen brake that I never used, then one day the "pop" coming out of park was louder than usual and after that, no more park pin. She would just roll. Had to block the wheels from that point on. Got rid of it soon after, but I never trust park to hold anything now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts