Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having problems with the passenger airbag light not going off, when they have a passenger. My girlfriend is about 125 lbs and somtime the light goes off and sometimes not. I had it in to the dealer for the second time to day and they are saying that they cannot duplicate the problem.

Im sorry if this has been talked about before. Im new to the site and could not find any related topics.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
First I would like to welcome you to the site Hwyranger! The airbag light problem has been a problem associated with the early built Titans. I don't believe it has been discussed here, but if you go to this link,
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=198730
there are many threads about it. I know our own Mike Z had this problem some time ago, hopefully he will jump in and tell you how it was resolved.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I believe you will need them to replace the passenger seat. Let the dealership know the problem and that you have talked to several other people online with the same problem. They will need to replace that seat because the sensors in it are not right. I looked to see if there was a TSB for this but didn't find one. I know there were a lot of people with this issue. MikeZ finally traded his Titan in for a newer one that the dealer gave him a great deal on.
By the way welcome aboard. If we don't have the answers here we will point you in the right direction.
M4ck

·
Registered
255 Posts
hwyranger,

I am the resident "expert" in the passenger airbag problem. First off, it is a known problem that eventually Nissan is going to have to face. The quest van had same problem and they finally did a national recall.
The first time I took it to dealer with problem I explained my wife weighed 120 and 60% of time the light would be on. I retuned 5 hours later to find they could not duplicate. They tried to duplicate with a 160 pound mechanic even though they had two receptionist in my wife's weight range!!! :roll: They blew me off and gave me the old if it does it again come back. I came back alright, with a certified letter of intent to sue from my lawyer. This made things happen or at least got ball rolling. The GM got on phone and took control of situation. I brought my wife down and immediately he and service manager witnessed the problem. Result was new seat bottom ordered. Got a call 2 days later advising me it was on national backorder, probably would be 4 weeks. Bingo, that would have put them over the 30 days for truck out of service, they were not allowed to return truck until safety issue was corrected. So to avoid lemon law and bad press that comes with it, GM got on phone with Nissan corp. They worked some numbers and end result was they took my truck in on trade for original price I paid for it and sold me new truck for 1500 under invoice plus the 1% financing.

Now with all this said, first thing you will need to do is take girlfriend down there and take service manager by ear and show him problem. Once he sees problem he will need to keep truck until fixed, it is a legal thing. Hopefully the seat bottom wont be on backorder and you will be back in good shape in a few days. If he gives you hard time, spend a 100-150 bucks and get a lawyer to write letter. Best money you will ever spend. Let me know if I can help anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man this forum is awesome. Thanks to the three of you for your help, I read all of MikeZ post on the other site and it was very helpfull. I just got back from the Nissan Dealer with my nice Pontiac Sunfire rental car (ya right). After getting the run around again for about an hour, I explained that I was not the only one having this problem and showed them this info. Then still they had my girlfriend sit in several other Titans to see if the light went off and it did as it should. They tried to tell me to come back on Monday when the "main" Nissan service department is open. I told them that this was a serious safety issue and I needed a rental car, while they kept my truck. Again, it took about 30 minutes while the tech got the approval for a rental car. They told me they would call on Monday with the info for what it needed. Its been a very un pleasant experience so far dealing with this service department. Its too bad because the truck is awesome. I had a 250 super duty prior to this and hosetly I like towing with the Titan better. Well thanks for the help and I will post next week on the results. Thanks again MikeZ, I might need to get some more info from you if I keep getting the run around.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Hwyranger,

Welcome to the ClubTitan!! I hope this gets your problem fixed. I was wondering, what was the "build" date of your Titan?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I first read Mike's posts months ago on this topic, I started watching that air bag light closely and even had my wife continuously watch it when we were driving around. After a while, I became confident it was not exhibiting the problem he had and felt mine was operating correctly. I hope the problem is resolved quickly and correctly for you. Yes, this does not happen on every Titan, but how many owners actually check the thing to determine if there might be a problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get you all the build date when I get it back from the dealer. I have a feeling it will be pretty close to the same as MikeZ. It sounds like its an isolated problem but still a serious one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Caltitan said:
When I first read Mike's posts months ago on this topic, I started watching that air bag light closely and even had my wife continuously watch it when we were driving around. After a while, I became confident it was not exhibiting the problem he had and felt mine was operating correctly. I hope the problem is resolved quickly and correctly for you. Yes, this does not happen on every Titan, but how many owners actually check the thing to determine if there might be a problem?
Thats correct Cal, The Titan I have now has worked perfectly since I bought it. Its hit and miss, could have something to do with build date. This one was built in late Aug and the one i gav eback was built in April.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts