Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger rear seat lifts w/o pulling lever... "tooth" in mechanism looks broken?

Ok... so I was just now taking a heavy package out of my Crew Cab. I had both rear seats folded up. As I let the passenger side one down I let it drop from about 1/2 way up and heard a clink noise.

Upon further inspection I can now lift it up w/o pulling the release lever. Once up it will stay up and you have to pull the lever to put it back down. The driver's side requires you to pull the lever to put it up and down.

When in the up position you can see what appears to be a missing little chunk from part of the mechanism. It's hard to describe w/o a picture, but it appears the tip broke off when I let the seat drop too hard and now it won't stay latched down.

I've only had my truck a week so I cannot be 100% sure it wasn't already broken, but I'm 99% sure because I think I would have noticed it and I most definately hear a little clink when I dropped the seat. Also, the break in the metal looks fresh. I cannot find the little piece anywhere.

Has this happened to anyone else? It looks like it's one of these two parts, can't tell which for sure, but I'm betting it's 88130 "Hook Assembly" that broke. I guess it's a no-no to drop the rear seats when putting them down and best to let them down easily?

1. [88642] STRIKER ASSEMBLY-REAR SEAT

2. [88130] HOOK ASSEMBLY-2ND SEAT,RH

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Are you still in the 3/36 warranty? That would be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.... bought it with 44k miles a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Any mechanical device is best operated gently, compared to how some people do. The slightest misalignment or bent bracket, causes an interference fit and can break. Maybe the heavy package had contacted one of the pieces? But, don't sweat the small stuff.

Titans are not known for this particular failure, but it occurs on any seat. We have a fleet of GMC;s, and replace lots of Recliner mechanisms, local stores stock the handles which says something about the history of GMC Recliner handles. Under seat mechanisms wear out a lot too. GMC, Internationals, Fords...

If bought at a dealer, inquire about your 30 day warranty. If bought off the street, take the truck to the parts department and discuss with a knowledgeable (older ?) parts guy and they should be able to sell you just the parts you need. Take off the broken piece ahead of time and take in with you. They shouldn't be too expensive. I'm not big on junkyard parts for stuff like that, too much time spent to save too little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts