Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I started a post on another forum looking for info to fix the passenger side ticking that matched rpms. A member told me to install a 4 gauge cable from grounding bolt on engine to where the negative battery cable splice, just below battery. I did it and havent had any ticking since. Its has been over 4k miles since. I was noticing today that my thread is still active with over 100 post and over 5000 hits. But in the thread, there are some saying the cable is just putting bandaid on a exhaust leak manifold problem. Is this possible? I know a exhaust leak can cause a ticking but would never have thought a grounding cable could hide that.
Any ideas? thoughts?

Z

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
That would seem impossible. I don't see what one has to do with the other. These would seem to be separate ticks, caused by separate problems.The ticking from an exh leak is caused by high press compressed gas escaping thru a crack or leaky gasket. Although I don't understand how installing add'l grounding causes the tick to go away, even if the problem is electrical related. Bottom line, though, is if it works......that's great! It does drive me nuts, though, when I fix something without fully understanding why it fixed the problem! I'd like to know more on this issue too. I do notice a slight ticking, so maybe I'll try a heavy gauge jumper as a temporary install to see if it eliminates the sound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JT,
What's your take on this?

Z

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
An exhaust leak and grounding cable Mike are 2 seperate issues. I'm still a little perplexed as to how this grounding cable is solving ticking issues, of which are clearly electrical. I went ahead and did it myself just to see if the engine had a grounding problem but I noticed no difference, I didn't have the tick to begin with either so my truck isn't a good example.

I would like to get my hands on someones truck that this grounding cable has solved their ticking problems. With my trusty VOM meter I'm sure I could come up with a logical reason.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my thoughts as well Dale. But, you keep reading the same thing over and over, I start second guessing my thoughts on this. I do know it flat stopped my ticking and would love to figure this out. Tell you what, let swap trucks for a week :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
you wouldn't want to swap trucks with me for a week, unless of course you have a spare set of tires laying around....... :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
As an industrial electrician for 20 years (now salary) I can tell you that high voltage will take some REALLY strange paths to ground if a rock solid ground doesn't exist on a circuit. An overloaded or undersized ground lead is as bad as no ground lead.
The tick could possibly be a ignition arc that at times is finding a easier path to ground through the glove box (or somewhere in that area) than it is finding on the spark plug.
The factory that I work at was down completely for 2 days a couple of weeks ago due to a high voltage grounding issue. We had to fly in a "High Voltage Guru" from Texas to find our problem as the 20+ electricans in our plant could not figure it out. There was a microscopic hole in a insulator. He deduced what was happening by a tiny carbon trail that could only be seen with a magnifying glass. No hole could be seen in the insulator.
VOM's arent' really useful when dealing with high voltage resistance issues (unless it is a dead ground) because they don't generate enough potential to break down insulation or jump through a microscopic hole like high voltage can.
Just some thoughts!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts