Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little frustrated.
A few weeks ago, I noticed a pinging noise coming from the valve area, and it has gotten worse. First time at the dealership, the tech tells me to use higher Octane gas and if that doesn't work, to just get used to it.

Two weeks later (today) go back, different tech rides with me, says this isn't normal, he has a titan and has never heard a noise like it.

Service guy calls Nissan, who say on an incline a knock can be normal.

My problem, it does it on incline, downhill and flat road and it does it even without a load on the engine....

Any help? I've called Nissan directly and got a file started, waiting on someone to call back.

Also, I have had two independent mechanics, 1 of which is my neighbor, listen to the truck and laughs when I tell them Nissan says it is normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
is the sound loud enough to record? that might help a lot. did you ever run a higher octane? and do you usually hear the "ping" more when the torque converter is locked? a slight ping could be normal on the uphills when running lower octane fuel...which means the person should be running higher

·
Registered
494 Posts
If the dealer is still stupid, see if they will retard the timing a degree or 2 and see what that does. Just make sure they will put it back to zero when the test is done. You may notice a drop in performance or etc.... while it is retarted like that so don't allow them to keep it like that forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ran higher Octane with no difference in the noise. I will try to record it sometime this week.

I am not a mechanic, but this really sounds like it is doing damage to my engine. Even my ten year old daughter heard it while driving home the other night and told me it didn't sound good.

They basically told me at the dealership that there is not much I/they can do seeing as Nissan says this is normal.

Also, if this helps any (probably not) my Titan is a '08 Crew Cab XE, and has 37,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
another sound that is similar to a "ping" (from inside the cab) is cracked exhaust manifold sound. reducing backpressure could make the sound much quieter but they would need to be replaced

im not saying there isnt anything wrong, but these engines are very noisy and sit pretty much in your lap. you dont have a bad ping or knock..its just isnt possible. a knock sensor will pick it up long before you would hear it. if it exceeds the point were the ECU cant retard the timing enough, it will let you know.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Have you checked for cracked exhaust manifolds? That could cause a sound similar to pinging, and is a common problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts