Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so ive been fighting that drivetrain vibration that many later titan owners have/are. the ? i have is, the optimum pinion angle is suppose to be 0deg/ or as close to as possible correct?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
f so....its not. ive been to the dealer several times and they have said its fine.

i dont have a pinion angle finder and cant find one w/o ordering it either. so if anyone is a math wizz, these are the measurements i got w/ a straight edge and ruler. is there anyone that could translate for me?

sorry for the bad art work...

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
went and bought an angle finder. my pinion is 6.5deg....is that too dramatic?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked another KC 2wd and he was sitting at a 4 deg pinion at the rear. his was an 05 though. his diff was angled at about 2deg up and his DS was at 6 deg down. he has none of the characteristics that i have. going in on Saturday to a different dealer....might get lucky and they will feel like working lol

btw, with a full tank of gas, it caused my rear to dip down 1.5-2 deg...which made it almost an 8 deg pinion.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Interesting, basically a much ignored subject. Time to learn. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most chase the rims and tires for years...i did for a little bit but decided to investigate other possible things.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update...went to the dealer today. spent about 3 hrs there. the tech drove my truck for about 10 miles and said he didnt feel it. i got in the truck with him and had him hold on to the steering wheel. i knew exactly how to duplicate it(not very hard lol) and when it was going to happen. luckly he felt the vibration and i showed him the differences in my angle compared to several other Ts on their lot. so, they ordered the shims and will probably have them installed next week.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There is; or was, a local clothing chain called Syms. Their slogan is "An educated consumer is our best customer." I'd say you must have your Master's Degree! Good work, mighty impressive.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
It's not just the pinion angle you have to worry about. The U joint angles must be the same on both ends of the drive shaft or you will get vibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not just the pinion angle you have to worry about. The U joint angles must be the same on both ends of the drive shaft or you will get vibration.
trans sits at 1 deg down and the #1 driveshaft sits at 2 deg down (1 deg difference which is good). from the carrier bearing u joint, it sits at a 4 deg and the rear is 6.5. carrier bearing angle never seems to change. i want as close to a 4deg equal but opposite on both ends. treating it as a single DS. i think that would be good right...?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got my shims installed today and WOW...what a difference. i love my T just a little bit more. my truck has been plagued with numerous vibrations, but as of today all is gone. they used the 1.5 deg shims. i looked at my angles and they look pretty good. the real test will be in the morning when its cold. the stiff, cold body and frame seems to transfer vibrations much more. even what i thought was a rough torque converter seems to have gone away as well. damn happy day...except for the new pinhole dent i have on my door from a f*cking semi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts