Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my PML transmission pan today.
It is a easy job; takes about an hour.
Tools needed:
10 mm socket
17 mm socket, if your pan has a drain plug
5 mm allen wrench
ratchet
6" extension

You will also need a pan gasket and 8 quarts of fluid.

1. If you have access to a lift it makes things much easier. If you use a jack and stands be sure the vehicle is securely supported on proper stands. NEVER work under a vehicle supported only by jacks.
2. If your transmission pan has a drain plug, remove it with a 17 mm socket to drain fluid. Bu sure to have a container that will hold over 5 quarts.
3. If you don't have a drain plug, remove the bolts holding the pan on. This will require a 10 mm socket and extension. Leave a couple of bolts in the front of the pan, remove these slowly so the rear of the pan will "droop", allowing fluid to drain. Be sure to have a catch pan large enough to catch the fluid.
4. After the fluid has drained, clean the flange of the transmission. Hold the gasket in place while installing the new pan. Put a new socket head screw with washer (furnished by PML) in each corner of the pan, making sure the gasket stays in place.
5. Snug down the four corner screws, using a 5 mm allen wrench. It is much easier and faster if you have a 5 mm allen wrench to fit your ratchet.
6. Install the other 18 screws with washers. Torque to 6-8 ft. lbs.
7.Remove the screw holding the dip stick in place (use a 10 mm socket) and using a funnel, pour in 8 quarts of transmission fluid. You need the added fluid since the new pan holds 3.5 quarts more. I use Amsoil, but you may want to stick with Nissanmatic J.
8. Start engine, shift between all the gears a couple of times, then check fluid level. If the fluid is cold the level should be between the two notches on the side of the stick. If hot, the level should be in the cross hatched area on the stick. Check with the engine running in N or P, and the dip stick must be rotated 180 degrees from the bolted down position when checking.
9. Recheck fluid after driving for a while.

The fluid that I drained was a little dark, but had no burned smell, and still had the red tint. I thought it looked good after almost 60,000 miles, and about 75 dyno pulls!

Under normal driving conditions I did not see a change in transmission oil temp. But that is because there is a thermostat in the air cooler on our vehicles. It keeps the fluid temp up to a set level. However under heavy loads, towing, etc, I am sure I will see lower temps with this pan.
After about 50 miles of driving since the pan install/fluid change I noticed that my shifts are quicker and more positive. Don't know if this is due to the Amsoil, or just new fluid, or both. But I sure feel the difference in shifts.

Attached are some photos of the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I forgot to order mine.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I didn't know they were ready to buy....I'm WAYY behind. It looks good! Great write up too. Hope it's not too late to buy.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Thanks scr38...buy chance did you go aftermarket with temp sensor?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RBsTitan said:
Thanks scr38...buy chance did you go aftermarket with temp sensor?
Nope, just used the factory gauge.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dads_taxi said:
Do we really need a gasket? When I did my valve body upgrade the pan bolted dirrectly to the tranny without a gasket.
My original gasket was stuck to the pan. I didn't try to remove it for reuse. I understand that some pans were installed with a silicone sealer; no gasket.
There is no way that I would go to all the trouble to install a new pan without using a new gasket. Even a very small leak will create a big mess! And the fluid is too expensive to lose.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
dads_taxi said:
Do we really need a gasket? When I did my valve body upgrade the pan bolted dirrectly to the tranny without a gasket.
Any noticeable positive differences with the upgrade?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WDS9074 said:
can the amsoil be mixed with the nissan fluid or do you have to flush the tranny with amsoil?
It will mix with the Nissan J, no problem.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Any news to report? Cooler temperatures? I really have to change my ATF now but dont know if the pan is worth the $300 right now.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NKTITAN711 said:
Any news to report? Cooler temperatures? I really have to change my ATF now but dont know if the pan is worth the $300 right now.
I haven't had the transmission under a heavy load since I installed the pan to see if the temps will be lower in high stress conditions. Since the transmission temp is thermostat controlled, the temp stays the same until loads increase it above the set point.
I will report results when I have some high load conditions. I will be back on the dyno later, that will give me a chance to check temps under load.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks, nice write up. I'm adding a secondary tranny cooler like RB did tomorrow and now I want one of these pans. Your explanation of the tranny having a t-stat makes sense. I have a tranny gauge on my a-pillar and it flucutates a lot. However, the oem gauge reads cold, steady, or real hot.. Doesnt really move much unless real cold or real hot...
Thanks again...

·
Registered
64 Posts
scr38 said:
I installed my PML transmission pan today.
It is a easy job; takes about an hour.
Tools needed:
10 mm socket
17 mm socket, if your pan has a drain plug
5 mm allen wrench
ratchet
6" extension

You will also need a pan gasket and 8 quarts of fluid.

1. If you have access to a lift it makes things much easier. If you use a jack and stands be sure the vehicle is securely supported on proper stands. NEVER work under a vehicle supported only by jacks.
2. If your transmission pan has a drain plug, remove it with a 17 mm socket to drain fluid. Bu sure to have a container that will hold over 5 quarts.
3. If you don't have a drain plug, remove the bolts holding the pan on. This will require a 10 mm socket and extension. Leave a couple of bolts in the front of the pan, remove these slowly so the rear of the pan will "droop", allowing fluid to drain. Be sure to have a catch pan large enough to catch the fluid.
4. After the fluid has drained, clean the flange of the transmission. Hold the gasket in place while installing the new pan. Put a new socket head screw with washer (furnished by PML) in each corner of the pan, making sure the gasket stays in place.
5. Snug down the four corner screws, using a 5 mm allen wrench. It is much easier and faster if you have a 5 mm allen wrench to fit your ratchet.
6. Install the other 18 screws with washers. Torque to 6-8 ft. lbs.
7.Remove the screw holding the dip stick in place (use a 10 mm socket) and using a funnel, pour in 8 quarts of transmission fluid. You need the added fluid since the new pan holds 3.5 quarts more. I use Amsoil, but you may want to stick with Nissanmatic J.
8. Start engine, shift between all the gears a couple of times, then check fluid level. If the fluid is cold the level should be between the two notches on the side of the stick. If hot, the level should be in the cross hatched area on the stick. Check with the engine running in N or P, and the dip stick must be rotated 180 degrees from the bolted down position when checking.
9. Recheck fluid after driving for a while.

The fluid that I drained was a little dark, but had no burned smell, and still had the red tint. I thought it looked good after almost 60,000 miles, and about 75 dyno pulls!

Under normal driving conditions I did not see a change in transmission oil temp. But that is because there is a thermostat in the air cooler on our vehicles. It keeps the fluid temp up to a set level. However under heavy loads, towing, etc, I am sure I will see lower temps with this pan.
After about 50 miles of driving since the pan install/fluid change I noticed that my shifts are quicker and more positive. Don't know if this is due to the Amsoil, or just new fluid, or both. But I sure feel the difference in shifts.

Attached are some photos of the install.

I installed my pml transmission pan yesterday, and my drain plug was 19mm socket. Mine took 9qt of transmission oil, also I install Auto meter Colbalt Digital and the average temp for my transmission is 118F don't know what the the actual normal temp for a stock truck. I suggest if u lift ur truck from the front with jack stand more oil will come out. I had never had my transmission oil change these is the first time at 55k it came out like purple and black color. These is one of the easiest mod u can do to ur truck. I feel a much smoother shift on the truck, I recommeded to anyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts