Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have posted this topic before but had no luck. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times but so far no luck diagnosing the cause. I will now attempt to explain what I am hearing.
I get in my truck in the morning and back (idle) out of my driveway. I then shift to Drive and accelerate (slowly, no WOT). There is a "pop-pop" noise every single time. Sounds like when you run over a small rock. It will not make this noise again until I put it in Reverse. Then, once in Reverse, and I accelerate it make the same "pop-pop" noise. When I shift back to D, you guessed it, same noise!
The dealership first tightened up all the bolts (so they say). The next trip they tighten up some brake pad shims? Next time they changed out front brake pads, rotors, etc. Why they are working on brakes is beyond me. The 4th time I took it in they did some work to the driveshaft ( I can't remember everything the guy told me but I knew it would not work

Here is another thing the truck does that seems odd. If I am cruising at 60-70 mph and let off the accelerator and coast for a little then press back down on the accelerator, there is a clunking noise. I do not think a '05 with 20K miles on it should be doing this but what do I know.

Anyway, sorry for the length, but I am thinking this has something to do with the rearend.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help! BTW - 05 SE CC BT OR 4x4

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If its coming from the rear end then its most likely axle wrap. Its a very common problem in Titans and there is no dealer cure. It can be fixed for about $25 though with some helper springs. Check this out: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=714
I just finished putting a pair on mine about an hour ago.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Try the $22 dollar spring helpers everyone talks about on this site and just see if it helps. It does sound like axle wrap to me also. And if it is this will cure it. And for the price of the helper springs you can't loose.

Look at the thread on here about them though....you don't put them on traditionally...you put them forward for traction.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
At 60 or 70 mph. and there's a clunk, I don't think it can be axle wrap. Sounds like a slip yoke bind imo. Take it in and have them grease the slip yoke after they inspect the U joints and determine they are ok. Of course, have them check for any loose tranny bolts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
well all of the 5 diffs i have had in my truck do something similar under the same circumstances.well the 4 that have been replaced anyway.they changed everythnig in the rear of my truck trying to fix the diff problems.i even had a friend of mine at a driveshaft shop check the driveshaft and they told me it wasnt the cause for the clunking or popping that i was hearing from the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I was going to say check the tranny bolts, like Suddenurge suggested. All you need is a 17mm socket and a decent extension for one of the bolts. There were quite a few early 05 models that had loose tranny bolts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Rubber in the transmission mount has broken (Cracked/De-Bonded) Your transmission hit's the tunnel when the torque of acceleration causes it to move. Replace the transmission mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts