Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspension noise / CLUNK / BANG fix

As suspected the LOWER Control arm seems to be the issue with our thumping, banging clunking noises. This occurs in the frontend LCA where it will hit if lets say you go over a bump,and your turning while your going over the bump. This will also happen if one wheel is crossing at a time or hitting a pot hole, then again you will get the thump sound when that wheel lands with all the weight. You need to check the back of the spindle and LCA. You may need grind the back and front of the spindle and LCA were their is contact. To check for contact you gotta test the LCA by turning the truck while parked, turn the wheel both ways full lock and were it stops you can see were there is or could be contact when you go over a bump. It appears the increased angle of the LCA after any lift make the noise more pronouned. Less often heard on a stock vehicle. When you go over the bump and all the weight is on one wheel when it lands the spindle moves up and down just enough to catch and thump the LCA, this is the noise your hearing. If you disconnect the front sway bar sometimes the noise will stop also. But to leave it disconnected causes a dangerous condition. I also noticed that the noise can be made when the LCA has a slight amount of play and is allowed to move slightly in a forward /back motiion the LCA will also cause the noise. Check this and please post your findings.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that shows what I'm talking about. Got the spacers to install myself. The area below the strut at the LCA is where the turning noise comes from and the other is the LCA movement forward and back for sure. When I installed my 6inch lift (pro comp) I noticed this forward backward play. I think the lift kits might have more of a gap than stock, ( the area where the LCA bolts up. The alignment bolts.) I am also considering using washers instead of the delrin spacers. This would definately cancel any possibility of any movement. If you can find one thats a tight fit with no excess room. The delrins I could see eventually wearing out. Here is a link if anybody needs the spacers.

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/NTLCADB.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I am gonna turn my Radflos adj rings all the way up to soften the ride some also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts