Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with Bixll a little while ago, while he was driving his Big Rig!!!....and voiced a few concerns I have with the Volant Group Buy going on right now. After talking with him he and I agreed that our first and foremost commitment is to you, the members of ClubTitan, and that any and all information that we have should be included in the products that are being sold through these group buys. By the way, he was not privy to this information until I voiced my concerns to him so no one was potentially, or trying to hold back any information.....

So, here it goes.....

IF, the Volant is all you're ever going to add for performance mods to your truck, then you might not want to buy one....Reason is that the Volant, as a stand alone mod, will tend to soften up the bottom end response of your truck, and probably not give you the gains you were hoping for. Bixll and I are concerned that if you have no other mods to your truck, that you probably will be disappointed with the Volant and asking yourself.."where's the beef" after spending about $250.

I did back to back dyno runs last fall comparing the Volant and factory intake, with no other mods on my truck, and what happened is my peak torque shifted higher into the rpm range, thus causing my truck to feel a little "soft" on the bottom end. It gained about 8 ft/lbs of torque but at a higher rpm. My peak torque lowered back into the stock rpm range with an aftermarket exhaust.

So this is what you REALLY need to know.....If you are planning on adding an aftermarket exhaust, or currently have one installed, then the Volant is an EXCELLENT addition to your truck. This is where the Volant comes alive as well as the exhaust. Together they have a higher sum then individually, kind of like a plus plus.....If you're never going to add an aftermarket exhaust with a Volant, think long and hard about buying one.

Please understand I'm not trying to ruin the group buy on an excellent product like the Volant, all I'm trying to do is make sure everyone knows what they are getting into and what to expect.

Your loving moderator........ 8O

Dale

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Good post,Dale. Everyone should now know what to expect. I have the Gibson 3" SS single on my Armada, and I think the Volant will be a good addition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dale,

Great info. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust/Volant combo on your new one?

Reason I ask, I have the Banks on the new '05 and would like an idea of comparison if ya can?

Appreciate it!

Chris

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the update JetTech. You may lose some from the group buy, but you and the other moderators have likely gained more trust from the members here.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CaliforniaTitan said:
Dale,

Reason I ask, I have the Banks on the new '05 and would like an idea of comparison if ya can?

Appreciate it!

Chris
Yes Chris, I have the Gibson Dual Extreme Exhaust along with the Volant. You would be a great candidate for a Volant intake to help take advantage of the Banks.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caltitan said:
Thanks for the update JetTech. You may lose some from the group buy, but you and the other moderators have likely gained more trust from the members here.
Thanks Cal, that's always been our goal and will continue to be our goal. Group buys are always awesome.......as long as people go into them with their eyes wide open.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good post JetTech ...

I can't help but wonder though ...

Doing back to back dyno runs may not have given the computer time to adjust the F/A mixture ...

Possibly putting you on the backside of the F/A curve ... beyond peak EGT/CHT ... and reducing power ... with too lean of a mixture ...

Whatya think ?

Granted ... This game isn't just about airflow ...

There's a lot more to the equation ...

:D

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill_N said:
Good post JetTech ...

I can't help but wonder though ...

Doing back to back dyno runs may not have given the computer time to adjust the F/A mixture ...

Possibly putting you on the backside of the F/A curve ... beyond peak EGT/CHT ... and reducing power ... with too lean of a mixture ...

Whatya think ?

Granted ... This game isn't just about airflow ...

There's a lot more to the equation ...

That happens to be an excellent question of which I'll tell you what happened. When I first switched out the factory intake for the Volant it didn't gain anything. Dazed and confused :lol: I reinstalled the factory intake and we did another run to see what was going on. The results were still the same. 8O By this time I'm ready to send the thing back and scrap the whole deal, so I reinstalled the Volant and it finally showed the gain and torque shift. The guy doing the dyno did several more runs and they all showed the gain and torque shift after that. There really was no conclusion other then we had confused the heck out of the ECU by switching intakes and immediately doing a dyno run. Only after several runs did it show the true readings. I hope this helps....

·
Registered
172 Posts
CaliforniaTitan said:
Dale,

Appreciate it!

Chris
Chris,

I have that combo on my 04 and it works very well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
JetTech said:
I hope this helps....
Why ... centainly !

It seems to be something of a "mystery" as to how long exactly it takes the ECU to adjust ...

Opinions are as wide as "3 starts" to "3 tanks of gas" ... lol

I fear that I have become a bit annoying to Bixll ... but it is not intentional ... it's just my inquisitive nature ... to think through all aspects of a situation before effecting a correction ...

Nearly 3 decades ago ... my Dad put me in the left seat of a plane for my first solo flight ... as he closed the door he said ... "You screw up ONE time and you're dead !!" ...

I learned to be careful in a hurry ....

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I fear that I have become a bit annoying to Bixll ...
Hugh???? Whadid I do???? I'm innocent I tell ya! It must have been JetTech, I was on the road!

·
Registered
470 Posts
As always, great info! All hail Dale!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts