Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason powder coating should flake after a couple of years? I noticed my bumper is flaking off the coating on the edges in some areas and it has only been on for a couple of years. Does bedliner come in any color other than black? Maybe silver like my bumper?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
you can get bedliner in custom colors in our area im not sure who does it google it but i know it does come in custom colors

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
powder coat flaking

Is there any reason powder coating should flake after a couple of years? I noticed my bumper is flaking off the coating on the edges in some areas and it has only been on for a couple of years. Does bedliner come in any color other than black? Maybe silver like my bumper?
My sister is a chemical engineer who did powder coatings for a few big name companies.

The simple answer is improper prep of the item to be sprayed; often welds are the first sign but oils on fingers do wonders for the adhesion of the coating...

Line X comes in multi colors I know.
http://www.linex.com/xtra_6.shtml

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
i think vortex also comes in colors

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ive read that powdercoating is suppose to be very durable under the harshest conditions. Id bring it back to the place to have checked out to see what may have caused the flaking. If you still want to do the silver bedliner, by all means go for it. It would look good im sure.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
As Kronos mentioned... most likely the welds were not cleaned properly or there was oily fingers touching the parts prior to coating. Surface prep is key. That is a Kennesaw Mtn. bumper, correct?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I recommended that he have the welds cleaned way back in the day and also recommended linex........guess what I'm going to recommend 3 years later......lol

The welds on that bumper looked like a high school students metal shop project. However, get that sucker cleaned up and get it coated in colormatched linex xtra. I did my truck three years ago and it still looks as good as day 1. Highly recommended!

http://www.mightytitans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10526

·
Vendor
39 Posts
i feel like any more responses would be useless. pretty much seems like his question was answered.

but, im wondering about these colors they have now. i looked at the pictures and am impressed, but has anyone ever seen them in real life? i havent and was wondering what your thoughts are on them. im thinking about getting my sport cage linexd to match the color of my ride.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good answers thanks. I talked with another powder coat company here in the Pittsburgh area and he told me the same thing. Another thing he told me was that once you powder coat it is a real PITA to remove the coating. It takes hours of sand blasting to get the coating off and so it cost quite a bit to just get it down to bare metal again. Im goign to contact the original company that did it but am not looking for a good response after a few years on the job done. Im also not looking forward to takign this bumper off and rolling on a bedliner product to match the trucks paint. Would much rather spray it on and that is the problem, finding a srpay can color match. But again many thanks for the response. Will update as things progress. Yes this is a Kennesaw Wincher.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
All good answers thanks. I talked with another powder coat company here in the Pittsburgh area and he told me the same thing. Another thing he told me was that once you powder coat it is a real PITA to remove the coating. It takes hours of sand blasting to get the coating off and so it cost quite a bit to just get it down to bare metal again. Im goign to contact the original company that did it but am not looking for a good response after a few years on the job done. Im also not looking forward to takign this bumper off and rolling on a bedliner product to match the trucks paint. Would much rather spray it on and that is the problem, finding a srpay can color match. But again many thanks for the response. Will update as things progress. Yes this is a Kennesaw Wincher.
I just had my N-Fab steps redone by a place in Kittanning. It cost me $150 for the steps and a bumper for my Polaris RZR, that included sandblasting on both items and powdercoating flat black. Haven't had them on for any lenght of time on either machine, but the first impression is very good. I can give you the name of the place if you're interested. I know you're in western PA somewhere.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks 54 looks like i will be waiting a while to re-do the bumper but will get the name if you dot mind for future ref.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts