Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have any difficulty making sharp turns? Whenever I make a sharp turn or u-turn there is a loud groaning noise and the steering wheel shakes and jerks in my hands. I checked the power steering fluid level and it seems to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I've never heard of it on the Titans but on other vehicles it usually indicates a bad seal in the power steering rack. It probably partially blew out one of the seals and you only feel it when you raise the pressure by making sharp turns. It IS a problem and unfortunately you will need to take it to the dealer for them to install a new rack. Please keep us updated as to the outcome.

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
You should never take the wheel hard into the fullest turn position on any vehicle. Most will groan and jump there when under extreme load like that. That will also contibute to blowing those seals JT just talked about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys. I need to make an appointment for my 3750 mile service so I'll get the seals looked at when I go in for that. I'll let you know what they tell me. I've never heard that it was bad to turn the wheel as far as it would go before a guy at work told me yesterday. All of my previous trucks and cars didn't seem to have a problem doing it. It's difficult not to turn the wheel so much, especially with such a large truck, trying to get into parking lots and such.

G

·
0 Posts
Have you changed wheels and/or tires? If so it's possible that the tires are rubbing when the wheels are turned to the max.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have the stock XE tires and wheels, so I wouldn't think it would be that. My original thought was that the tires were making the graoning noise by rubbing, but it has started groaning even before I have turned it all the way to the max.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took my truck in for service on Friday and I asked them to check out the power steering. I explained all the problems I was having and all they said was that they were unable to repeat the problems I was describing, so they did nothing. It would be difficult to adequately demonstrate the problems to them because most of the time the problems surface when the truck is cold. By the time I drive over to the dealership, the truck is warm and it behaves a little more normal. They did ask me if the steering problems occur when I brake, but I told them no, just when I'm going slow and turning. I don't know if he was trying to figure out if there was a rotor problem or not. Since then, I have noticed some vibration in the steering wheel while I'm turning and braking, but the vibration is also there at other times. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Take it back to the dealer, see if they'll give you a "loaner" and leave it there overnight. Then they can check it out in the morning while it's still cool.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
AZRich said:
Well, I took my truck in for service on Friday and I asked them to check out the power steering. I explained all the problems I was having and all they said was that they were unable to repeat the problems I was describing, so they did nothing. It would be difficult to adequately demonstrate the problems to them because most of the time the problems surface when the truck is cold. By the time I drive over to the dealership, the truck is warm and it behaves a little more normal. They did ask me if the steering problems occur when I brake, but I told them no, just when I'm going slow and turning. I don't know if he was trying to figure out if there was a rotor problem or not. Since then, I have noticed some vibration in the steering wheel while I'm turning and braking, but the vibration is also there at other times. Any suggestions?
The only other thing I can think of AZ is a slipping belt. That will cause all kinds of problems, do you hear any squeeling in the mornings after you start it up? Other than tires squeeling.. :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, actually, there is a squealing noise when I start up in the morning. It's not a constant squealing, it just kind of comes in pulses sort of like a heartbeat. Would the belt account for the shaking steering wheel and groaning noise? Thanks for the tip Jet, I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
yes it would. If the belt is slipping on the power steering pulley it will cause your pump to momentarily slow down when you turn the wheel and make your steering jerky. It's better to check the easy things first then go from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a way to check that myself without going to the dealership? Mind you, I'm not all that mechanically inclined. :)

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
one way is to take white chalk and make a line on the pump pulley. Then have someone start the truck up and turn the wheels while you look for the pulley to momentarily stop or slow down. Just be sure to keep your hands, and necktie (if your wearing one) clear of the fan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so I took the truck in yesterday to have them check out the steering problem again. I left it over night and they told me today that they need to keep it another night because the steering rack failed. They are ordering a new one that should be here tomorrow AM. Does anyone know why this would happen? I haven't read anything on any forums that indicate other people have had this problem. If anyone else has any of the same symptoms I've had, I would suggest getting it checked out...I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like a bad rack is a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
AZRich said:
Okay, so I took the truck in yesterday to have them check out the steering problem again. I left it over night and they told me today that they need to keep it another night because the steering rack failed. They are ordering a new one that should be here tomorrow AM. Does anyone know why this would happen? I haven't read anything on any forums that indicate other people have had this problem. If anyone else has any of the same symptoms I've had, I would suggest getting it checked out...I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like a bad rack is a bad thing.
I think my original guess to your problem was right. I would just chalk it up as a fluke. Whoever assembled the rack probably didn't install one of the seals correctly and or partially cut it, only making itself known as a problem when the pressures were high. I'm glad you took it back to them a second time so they could look at it a little closer. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, so I finally get to go pick up my truck today (hopefully). They've had it for a week now, and they wouldn't provide me with a loaner, a rental car, or even drive me back to the office after I dropped it off! It took them 5 days to "overnight" the part. Totally ridiculous, if you ask me. I think I'll take my business elsewhere for future maintenance. Now I have to leave for my Christmas trip immediately after I pick the truck up. I hope they fixed it right! Sorry, had to vent for a while. I miss my truck!

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I thought Nissan required their dealers to provide a loaner for warranty work? I would never deal with them again! My wife got a ding in her hood
(05 Altima) from a kicked up rock. We took it to the dealership body shop, and they gave her a car for even that!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would think they should provide a loaner too. Maybe they were just giving me the run around. I agree, I don't think I'll go there anymore. I'm a little worried now, too, because they just told me that this is the first steering rack replacement they've done. Which makes me think I might be stuck in the middle of the desert between AZ and New Mexico with a truck that can't steer. The drive is pretty much a straight shot, but still... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts