Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use a pre-oiler? Was thinking about using one going into winter. I've seen them from $200 to $400 bucks. Looks easy enough to install and if starting is really the most damaging part of running an engine, seems like a cheap way to extend engine life. Would appreciate any comments/feedback from actual experience.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Are they really very necessary these days.
M4ck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean but the premise seems to make sense. I'd really like to hear from someone who's used one for some time.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I guess I would to. Are you planning on letting your truck sit for long periods. I guess I should have asked that first if so then it is probably a good idea. If you are driving in every day I don't think its as big a deal. Is your truck like a summer vehicle or something. May help out in colder climates too. Where I live South Carolina I don't think I would benefit from one too much. I will look into them a little more.
M4ck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it usually sits through the weekend without being used. And I only drive about 5 miles a day which doesn't let the engine and drivetrain fully warm up. I try and get it out on the open road for a good 20 minute drive once a week to help and change the oil often. But, going into the winter cycle, I'm looking for some added protection. It gets below freezing here and in my previous vehicles I would hear some momentary piston knock on startup when it was really cold. For the money it seems like a pretty good investment. I've even heard that they are standard equipment on some vehicles. But then again, it could just be another gimmick to pry my hard earned cash from my hands... :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
With a properly working anti-drainback valve in your oil filter you really don't need a pre-oiler. The Nissan oil filters have an excellent A/D valve in them, you may have witnessed this if you've ever changed your oil. The last thread before the filter comes off and BAM, a big gush of oil comes out just when you think you've made a clean get away. That's the A/D valve working like it should.

If you live in an extremely cold climate then your a good candidate for a synthetic oil. They have extremely low pour points and will hold up well with your short trips. A 0W-30 or a 0W-40 will work excellent in the harshest of climates while providing you with near intantaneous flow upon cold start.

A good Nissan OEM oil filter and Mobil 1 0W-** is a great combination in extreme climates.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I knew you would have a good response lol.
Listen to Jettech he knows his stuff. There's nothing wrong with extra protection though. If it gives you peace of mind and you can afford it then I say go for it.
m4ck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I value Jet's opinion (I have used his "spring helpers", poor mans ladder bars quite effectively). However, even a good AD filter will not pre-pressurize the oiling system and it still takes time for oil to move through the passages upon startup. Of all things we do to our engines, I think one can easily argue that startup is the most detrimental. I've read while doing research that 50% of an engines wear occurs at startup (something like 7000+ cycles on an avg engine). Do you agree? Many piston engine aircraft use them, as well as many racing engines (pre-oilers have an added benefit that they provide a reserve of oil in case of momentary loss of oil pressure). I would love to have some emperical evidence showing a significant reduction in engine wear over many years. But alas, I probably ask too much. Oh well, like you said, what's a couple hundred bucks for some piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
SciTitan said:
Yes, I value Jet's opinion (I have used his "spring helpers", poor mans ladder bars quite effectively). However, even a good AD filter will not pre-pressurize the oiling system and it still takes time for oil to move through the passages upon startup. Of all things we do to our engines, I think one can easily argue that startup is the most detrimental. I've read while doing research that 50% of an engines wear occurs at startup (something like 7000+ cycles on an avg engine). Do you agree? Many piston engine aircraft use them, as well as many racing engines (pre-oilers have an added benefit that they provide a reserve of oil in case of momentary loss of oil pressure). I would love to have some emperical evidence showing a significant reduction in engine wear over many years. But alas, I probably ask too much. Oh well, like you said, what's a couple hundred bucks for some piece of mind.
you bring up some great points about pre-oiling systems. And your correct about the A/D valve not pressurizing the system, its main function is to keep oil in the top end of the engine to aid in startup oil flow.

My reasons for not promoting such a system are based upon the oil samples I've done so far. If you look at the sample I had done using Mobil 1 0W-40 you'll see some VERY LOW wear numbers. And the part I didn't mention was this sample period involved a lot of -20F start-ups when I was in Maine taking care of my Mother. The truck would sit for days on end and I would just fire it up, let it idle for about 5 minutes then be on my way. The oil was also subjected to extreme heat here in Atlanta, so it's hard to justify any benefit of a pre-oiler with stats like that.

Now if you really want evidence, have an oil sample done before and after you install it. That will show if it really is helping any...

Heck man, be the first and put one on. Of course you have to show us pics when your done...

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
You also need to remember that if you are using synthetic oil, the bonding agents are far superior to those of dyno oil. IMHO, a preoiler, in todays vehicles, using todays synthetic oil, is high priced overkill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts