Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, i got around to doing the "axle vent mod"...YES, i found it on my axle HRTKD.....as i said, i thought it was part of the axle tube - a cast piece of metal....NO, IT WAS THE FACTORY VENT ALL RUSTED/CAKED UP.

while under truck inspecting things, i found this little beauty....
my front shaft-diff - missing a bolt and the other one in the pic was just about to fall off.....NICE, that would have been a fine how do you do repair bill....ANYONE know if any G8 bolt will do OR do i need a factory specific one? can anyone say loctite?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Holy crap! Missing a bolt on the drive shaft??? Grade 8 should do fine. I would get something in there ASAP, at least to hold it until you can get to the dealer and purchase an OEM bolt (but I think a grade 8 is fine). Be sure to match the existing bolts - they should be metric.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it is not the front of the driveshaft BUT the front short shaft out of the front diff to transfer case......for 4x....

spose i am making a trip to the dealer for the OEM metric kind....

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
That is the driveshaft.
Good thing you caught this, it could have caused a big and expensive problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YUP...

thanks to the NISSAN spec page i had found for the needed parts....oh wait, they don't exist anymore....

they got superceded...

FYI: to those who may need new front drive shaft bolts, here are the NEW numbers.
37120-4p00a - bolt
37171-7s00a - nut

the parts guy could not give a reason as to why the change, said perhaps this is the reason - they fall out - so i bought all 4 and will install w/ loctite...

the guy gave me 'wholesaler' price or otherwise a nut/bolt would have cost me $5.47, so i was out the door at $17 instead for all 4.

p.s. also grabbed a cabin air filter from autozone today as well....tired of smelling/tasting dust and smells....not sure why the XE's never came w/ it...stupid

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well guys, i got the driveshaft bolts replaced tonight WITH red loctite...

I RECOMMEND YOU ALL GO CHECK YOURS....cuz the other 2 were barely finger tight...with the 1 just being there and the other 1 gone...

shocking actually.... i cranked them down good too....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts