Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hard part: I took the plunge!!! (I'm not feeling smart right now) Front kit includes 14 in dual vanned rotors-cross drilled & slotted, 51mm dual piston calipers, Hi-Perf pads and DOT approved SS brake lines. I thought it was a good buy @ $100 less at Dynamic Racing vs. Stillen's web store. Est delivery in 2 weeks.

Now the harder part:
I have to install this myself as the wife may not approve of the additional labor cost on top of the HEFTY purchase price of over a grand. However, I know this site provides tons of helpful intelligent information, advice and member support. In return for all your input, I will honesty review this product and post my evaluation to the best of my ability and integrity.
I'll even try to post some install photos (?) if it passes this clubs technical standards. So, let the wealth of information start flowing (reminder: I am not a mechanic by trade but jack of all!) so ...i'm a little slow.

Item photo and description:http://dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=309&cat=121&page=1 :idea:

Moved photos forward & updated with attachments 2/28 after install by local Nissan Service Center. I will update this forum of my review of this kit after a week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
oooooo, I can't wait to see this. Please take photos as you go and we will certainly post them.

If you need any help when you get into it just e-mail me or pm me. I'll give you my phone number in case you have a question and don't want to wait for an e-mail response.

Good luck, it should be a piece of cake to do. If you need any of the service manual information for reference I'll be happy to send it to you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JetTech said:
oooooo, I can't wait to see this. Please take photos as you go and we will certainly post them.

If you need any help when you get into it just e-mail me or pm me. I'll give you my phone number in case you have a question and don't want to wait for an e-mail response.

Good luck, it should be a piece of cake to do. If you need any of the service manual information for reference I'll be happy to send it to you.
Thanks JT. I feel better already. I'll take you on your offer as I have Nothing in terms of info. Do you think the Service Manuals in CD form from eBay are OK? If OK i'll buy one but If not, where is a good source (beside yourself) ?

If I eMail you photo attachments, would you be able to proof read and edit and label the install steps and and post them for me? My computer's programs are antiquated.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
gr8TITAN said:
JetTech said:

Thanks JT. I feel better already. I'll take you on your offer as I have Nothing in terms of info. Do you think the Service Manuals in CD form from eBay are OK? If OK i'll buy one but If not, where is a good source (beside yourself) ?

If I eMail you photo attachments, would you be able to proof read and edit and label the install steps and and post them for me? My computer's programs are antiquated.
I'm here to help in whatever way I can. I'll be happy to label your photos for you. I really don't know anything about the e-bay service manuals. Maybe someone else can advise here. I doubt you'll need them anyway. Jump in with both feet.... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey good luck with those! I saw them in person last month at Stillen and took pics of them.

As far as putting them on...pretty straight forward deal and not hard at all if you have ever swapped a rotor before. Make sure you get the grease from Nissan to put between the pad and the holder area...if you don't use it, the pads will stick there (One of the 'hopeful' fixes Nissan used to try and fix the judder issue.

Between Jet and myself I am sure we can get you through it easily if you have any Q's.

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

JT and CaliT
Thanks for the offer of assistance. I really felt a little bit sick yesterday after I placed the order not realizing the labor part of the deal. Is it going to be more money or sweat equity? Now I feel better knowing I have support from you guys. THANKS

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
We're all here to help man! Feel free to PM me also, I have done a fare share of big brake kits myself. Very easy install. Not much more involved than a standard brake job really. I look forward to your install pics and review as this may be a future mod for myself if I ever encounter the "brake problem" and Nissan doesn't fully resolve it:)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think the most tedious part may be changing out the brake lines. I did mine and was careful not to strip the bolts or over-torque them. Have plenty of extra brake fluid (I used almost 32 ozs). You'll basically be changing out the old brake fluid when you bleed the lines. I upgraded to Valvoline synthetic dot-3/-4 (withstands higher temps). Lots of shop rags will also be a plus.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Flare Nut Wrench

If you don't already have one, do yourself a favor and convince your better half to spend just a little more money on this type of wrench. This will help prevent damage to the brake line bolts.

Edit: I should have added that I do not know the correct size of the wrench for the torque bolts. These wrenches are for a visual reference only.

Attachments

·
SHIFT_I did it the hard way... I earned it.
4,341 Posts
And unless these brake lines are any different from older vehicles, a pair of vice grips crimped on the line will save the loss of a lot of fluid and make bleeding much easier.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Brakes

Thank you everyone for all the info!!!

Sorry for not responding the last 7 days as "I had to" take the wife on a 7 day cruise to Cozumel via stops at the Carribean. (pssst...so she won't give me a hard time on my Titan spending) and boy oh boy was I having ClubTitan withdrawal symptoms that I had to drink everyday just to calm me down. LOL LOL.

I logged on once 2 days ago but the ship's satellite link was slow (duh!)and they are charging $1.75 per minute that I spend 12 minutes just to check my e-mails. (bummer!)

Well, i'm back and got a voicemail from DR (brake seller) saying that Stillen will ship my brakes directly and should receive it by Monday and were behind a few days because the 'red' calipers had to be powder coated as ordered.

Until then, I'll have to get my tools together and got to go check my Titan in the garage.
PEACE

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Glad your back we missed ya. Cant wait to hear your thoughts on that big brake kit. It will probably look really good with the red callipers behind those wheels of yours.
M4ck

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
Re: Big Brakes

gr8TITAN said:
Thank you everyone for all the info!!!

Sorry for not responding the last 7 days as "I had to" take the wife on a 7 day cruise to Cozumel via stops at the Carribean. (pssst...so she won't give me a hard time on my Titan spending) and boy oh boy was I having ClubTitan withdrawal symptoms that I had to drink everyday just to calm me down. LOL LOL.

I logged on once 2 days ago but the ship's satellite link was slow (duh!)and they are charging $1.75 per minute that I spend 12 minutes just to check my e-mails. (bummer!)

Well, i'm back and got a voicemail from DR (brake seller) saying that Stillen will ship my brakes directly and should receive it by Monday and were behind a few days because the 'red' calipers had to be powder coated as ordered.

Until then, I'll have to get my tools together and got to go check my Titan in the garage.
PEACE
Ya know.......That looks like pure torture :twisted: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
STILLEN brakes are here

The overhead rack I ordered last week came in but the door latch assembly for my frozen driver's door and the aluminum finned differential cover I wanted is still backordered.
Anyway I had a conversation with the service manager because I had been waiting for the darn door assembly and been opening the driver's door from the inside for the past 3 weeks and my brakes started pulling to the left (1st repair was due to pulling to the right) after they resurfaced the rotor and changed parts using a Nissan recommended kit 300 miles ago. I asked him to find out if they can install the Big brake kit I ordered from Stillen instead of redoing my brakes again and he said he will find out and that it may be possible. I asked him in consideration of the warranty provisions that they may deny responsibility to the damages brought about by the OEM brakes problems if I go ahead and install the Stillen kit. I also told him that I will not drive around this summer towing my boat with a defective set of front brakes so I need dependable brakes.
As I turned unto my driveway from the dealer, DHL delivery guy came up with a box and I knew what it was: MY STILLEN BIG BRAKES!!!!!
Here's some photos of the day. I'll keep you guys updated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Ahh man very nice
cant wait to hear how they are
M4ck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW!!! When I said these rotors are monsters, I didn't expect it to be uploaded this BIG!! LOL
Well here's a couple pics of the bed racks. Hope they're not uploaded in large size

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Sweet man that thing is looking good.
M4ck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stillen brake kit to installed by dealer

I have good news and GOOD NEWS.

1. The service manager at my local dealership "claimed" that within the next 2 months, Nissan is coming out with replacement rotors (same diameter but thicker = less space between the discs) and a softer type of pad material. He was not sure if this will be a TSB or a recall. He also agreed with me that a 5000+lbs vehicle with 300+ HP should have a "stouter" front brakes. Additionally he reinforced the fact that the front brakes carry more that 60% of the braking job, therefore the argument for larger front brakes.
2. They (my local Nissan service department) will install my Stillen big brake kit for free instead of resurfacing my OEM rotors as a 'band-aid' treatment until Nissan starts distributing the replacement kits to local dealers.

My appointment is Monday (2-28-04) to have brakes and door mechnism fixed and hope they follow through with their word.

To this end, I appreciate and applaud everybody's support & advice on my brake situation. I'll kep this forum updated with photos and product review.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Installed today

I had the Stillen kit installed today by my local Nissan service department and everything went well. I just managed to avoid the snow & took the beast home. Still trying to break it in. No judder so far. No pulling to either side. Give me a week and give my final review.
More photos at www.usantonio.com/stillen_big__brake.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts