Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, need some of your expert advice. The family and I are driving the Titan from Austin Texas to Keystone Colorado through the Christmas holidays. I have driven on snow and ice but have never been through New Mexico and Colorado. My question is would it be prudent to get snow chains, JUST IN CASE or is that over kill? If so, what brand would anyone recommend? Any advice for driving in the area in question? Not a 4x4

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm sure someone with tire chain knowledge will chime in but I think the obvious things like weight in the bed (most use about 300LBS over the rear wheels) and a good all terrain/mud/snow tire would be my first move. Hopefully the weather will be nice and clear for ya though! Have a great holiday trip and be safe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Never used chains but we got a 20inch snow last year and I went anywhere I wanted with my 1st gen frontier (before I got the Titan) with bfg AT's and 4x4. Although I barely got my grandpaw out of his house and down to mine for x mas I wish I woulda had chains for his drive way. Since you dont have 4x4 I'd invest in cables or chains and stick to a main highway when your mapping your routes. Even if you dont use them they are there when and if you need them, also get some weight such as sandbags or something that won't flop around badly. I wouldnt buy AT's for 1 trip unless you need tires but next purchase I would pick some up.

And last but not least next time your in the market for a truck get one with a transfer case. :duh:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Put some wieght in the bed about 300lbs over the axle, I might invest in some chains just in case and make sure your tires are in good shape and you shouldn't have to much trouble. My 4x2 Titan does fine in the snow we get in Ohio but its not to hilly, thats where the chains would come in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback folks. The truck only has a little over 3k, so the tires are still new and they are the Wrangler AT. already ordered the chains and the back end will be filled with all our gear. Think I'll add a little more weight. Thank God for the new TONOCover I got.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
See this thread for more info on tire chains: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40882&highlight=TIRE+CHAINS+101

We have been seeing record snow fall amounts in the high country during November. 4x2 pickup = bad mojo. Chains will help, but they need to be on the tires. You might say, "Well, duh!" but it isn't always clear WHEN to put the chains on and you don't want them on if they aren't needed (lousy, noisy, slow ride). At least you have some experience driving in ice/snow conditions. Pack a shovel, ice scraper and maybe a tow/recovery strap. Also consider getting winter wipers and -20 degree windshield wiper fluid.

Maybe I should start a Titan snow tire rental company?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Some mountain routes had signs saying chains could be required.
I have had good help from pieces of carpet (to lay over slush, etc , for several feet).
But ,the radial tires are pretty good,you should be good.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
At least on I-70 (the main interstate through the mountains) the Chain Law applies to commecial vehicles only. All the semi trucks will be chained up while the non-commercial vehicles don't need to. Should it get bad enough that cars need to chain up I think they just close the road to everyone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lived in Maine for 36 years, and in extreme cases chains are needed, they wil limit you speed down to about 25mph, they do have a cable setup that maybe better for a long travel in snow and ice, but if you have 4wd and good tires, just drive slower and extra weight in bed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts