Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Ive had only one minor problem to date which was the rad cap that was covered under warranty. Ive got just above 69,000 miles on the truck and now there is a rattling noise coming from under the truck. It happens at about 1300-1500 rpms at low speeds. Ive gone under and checked the heat shields for debris that could be causing the rattle but to no avail...

Anything else I should be looking at? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well i looked underneath again and shook/tapped everything under there that could possibly be loose but still no rattle. Please help a brutha out...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
possible rattles

When I had "the rattles", I checked the following:

1. The cheap catalytic converter covers. I had to take a piece of aluminum fence ties to tie them up. No rattle there anymore.
2. Then I had a squeak in my dash. It was where the amplifier bracket was so a piece of pipe foam insulation did the trick there.

My guess is for #1 because it would rattle at that range as well.

Squeak free and good luck.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a similar rattle when I come to a stop and the engine is ideling. It sounds like a losse piece of aluminum or tin and I suspect it is the catalytic converter shield. this just started, of course, when the weather turned cold. I have about 64,500 miles on my beast and this noise just drives me crazy. Guess Im goign to have to bundle up and slide uner her to fix the prblem. Good Luck with your gremlin.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The long heat shields about ten inches past the cats broke loose on mine, they may not feel real loose but I've had both mine come loose and after a couple spot welds the sound went away, another time I told the dealer about it and they used a hose clamp around it which did the job.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Noise abated with clamp in place

Check out the pic. I put a hose clamp on whats left of the heat shield on the trailing end past the catalytic converter. Noise is gone but I see a split on the pipe just to the left of the hose clamp. Going to have that welded over this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
thanks Scott that is helpfull

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i finally had a chance to look under the truck again and this time i found what might have been causing the rattle. Right here is a pic of my solution. Its a hose clamp wrapped around one of the heat shields next to, i believe, the O2 sensor. It was literally rubbing against it. Hope this helps out everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I can't say the dealership found my rattling noise but they did find both my exhaust manifilds have cracks in them so they are replacing under warranty. Truck will not be done till Monday evening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts