Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have had a rear axle seal failure or blown diff, please report it to the NHSTA. We need to get something done so that we do not have to pay for this out of pocket once our warranties are expired. This is a safety issue because the fluid leaks all over the brakes, and can cause brake failure. My seal went out in March and was replaced. Look under your truck on the back of your brakes to see if it looks "wet". It's hard to miss if you look. Nissan will repair under warranty, but this has been a common issue, so it should be addressed so that we have a permanent fix. If you don't fix it, it will keep leaking until all your rear diff fluid is gone, which will cause your rear diff to break. There have been a few "home-made solutions" to try to fix this issue, but this is something we should not have to deal with.

Please report your leaks at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Report your failure under the following category
POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL

If your entire rear diff failed, please report it to the appropriate category.

Mine failed at 8000 miles when my suspension was still stock.
Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10185695

Here is what my complaint looked like when completed:
Results : 1 | All records displayed
Make : NISSAN Model : TITAN Year : 2006
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10185695 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: March 9, 2007
VIN : 1N6BA06A16N...
Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL
Summary:
LEFT REAR AXLE SEAL BLEW OUT AND LEAKED DIFFERENTIAL FLUID. DIFFERENTIAL FLUID LEAKING ON REAR BRAKE ROTORS WHICH COULD CAUSE BRAKE FAILURE, WHICH WAS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN TO ME. AT TIME OF FAILURE AT 8000 MILES NO SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS HAD BEEN DONE TO VEHICLE. ALSO, THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL OIL WILL SLOWLY LEAK AND CAUSE THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL TO LOSE FLUID AND FAIL. NISSAN REPLACED SPACER AXLE (43070-7S200), BEARING (40210-7S210), AND SEAL (43252-7S200). AS THIS SEEMED TO BE A VERY COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE NISSAN TITAN, NISSAN SHOULD ADDRESS THIS ISSUE AND OFFER A PERMANENT FIX SO WEOULD NOT BE FACED WITH THE SAFETY ISSUE IN THE FUTURE. *AK

Here is what my rear axle seal failure looked like:

Thanks guys.

Erik

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rear diff dead at 24k

My rear diff locked up at 24k and was replaced hub to hub by Nissan under recall. Its an 05 now ith 70k so its been almost 2 years, but if it was a defect then, its still a defect. No issues, no leaks since.

·
Banned
3,679 Posts
mine failed at 29k....was replaced no questions asked....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the pics, thankfully nothing there (yet). But I now know what to look for, It'll be another regular check point for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Its been 2 years......

When my 05 diff locked up (no warning, in the middle of a blind intersection on a curve) I dragged it out and to the dealer using front whell pull in 4wd. When I got to dealer he explained that they were having many issues and a recall was issued. I had to wait a week to get one from factory. I didn't see a notice but they have three in crates hub to hub sitting on the floor in the shop. I was there today.

Same [email protected]*t happened to my 05 Frontier Nismo Off Road, my kid at college. Threw it in a fence and tore up fender and door. Boy swore it suddenly just did a 360". I open the whoop on him for squirrelin', towed to body shop and then to local dealer. Dealer replaced that rear hub to hub, Nationwide subrogated and I got my deductible back, 'cause defective rear caused the whole deal. As for the boy he probably needed the whoop for something I didn't know about anyway. Again I didn't see a notice, but Nissan paid.

I know your on top of this stuff, but it just was what it was. I'll look back and see if I can dig up paper to send you.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If the brakes get very hot and the differential fluid leaks on them, doesn't that pose a fire hazard? I don't know what the flashpoint of the fluid is.

·
Registered
641 Posts
On 2006's that's not good, is yours 4x4?

·
Registered
558 Posts
AgTitan06 said:
It's definitely a safety hazard.
My parking brake wouldn't hold when my Titan's Rt. rear seal went. I always put it in park anyways after setting the brake, but I like to have the brake hold the truck.

But it is possible for someone to do a neutral and parking brake ... leave the truck running scenario and have their Titan go on a rampage.

I would think at least a couple of the blown rear differential happened due to low levels caused by leaking seals.

Anyone know why it is usually the Rt. rear?

Btw, I did the Fed. complaint.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swarren1 said:
My parking brake wouldn't hold when my Titan's Rt. rear seal went. I always put it in park anyways after setting the brake, but I like to have the brake hold the truck.

But it is possible for someone to do a neutral and parking brake ... leave the truck running scenario and have their Titan go on a rampage.

I would think at least a couple of the blown rear differential happened due to low levels caused by leaking seals.

Anyone know why it is usually the Rt. rear?

Btw, I did the Fed. complaint.
Mine was the left rear.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Right Rear for me, Going to dealer on the tenth of May to get a laundry list of Warranty work done before 35,000.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just looked at mine the drivers side rear looks just like the pic you posted...mine is leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the service dept try and blame this on my mini-lift?????????

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mine were replaced

·
Registered
482 Posts
QShip said:
Mine were replaced
Even with the Trutrak or was this prior to that?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The rt side was leaking and the lt side was starting to weep a little, the dealer replaced the whole rear end at 59K under warranty.

·
Registered
427 Posts
yeah, next time its on your dollar.. I've gota do the mod and hope it works. Nissan screwed the pooch on that deal-o

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lucky said:
The rt side was leaking and the lt side was starting to weep a little, the dealer replaced the whole rear end at 59K under warranty.
They replaced the whole rearend because the seals were leaking, or you had other problems.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts