Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok nissan claims that the titan can tow up to 9500lbs, is this true for all models 2WD and 4WD?

i would say it is for all because the engines and chassis are essentially the same, but maybe some have different differentials or options that allow for more towing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Excellent question shift.

I wonder the same thing. I was told at the dealer that they are capable of this. Nothing official of course. Once fitted up I will feel confident towing what I need to although I doubt it will approach 9,500 lbs, it should be capable of that.

It looks like maybe a 7 pin harness in the bumper of mine, not sure but it is round and about the same size as it should be.

I will use mine for towing and plan to order everything I need from the dealer. Hitch, relays, any harness adaptors etc.

I have to make a call to them about a few things so hopefully I will have all the info/prices soon.

Chief

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Tow capacity recommendations do differ because of varying vehicle weights and axle/gear ratios. The only style of Titan with the 9500 lb capacity is the 2WD SE KC with Big Tow option. All others styles with Big Tow option are 9200 or 9400 lbs. Without Big Tow option the tow capacity varies between 6500 to 7400 lbs. See page 9-23 of your manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heres my tow package.....................

26 foot americamp trailer with super slidout. 6000lbs when empty so I guess about 7000lbs when loaded. it has a tongue weight of 750 lbs. it is 11 foot tall.
The titan pulls it great with lots of power. however that power comes at a price. that price is between 7.5 and 8.5 MPG.
We bought the truck just for pulling our trailer camping and due to the fact we live in Michigan and dont camp in the winter, the truck is put in storage untill next spring ( heated storage )
Sure cant wait till spring!!!
God bless
GReg from Mi.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
along with it being the se kc 2wd, you'll need the class IV, weight-distributing tow hitch.

Hi from a new member, been lurking for half a month.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
998smoke said:
along with it being the se kc 2wd, you'll need the class IV, weight-distributing tow hitch.

Hi from a new member, been lurking for half a month.
Welcome aboard 998Smoke So you are one of those 20 or so people I saw never logging in. LOL
M4ck

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
towing recomendations are just that recomendations. to be able to get a tow rating of 9500 lbs the manufacture has see what the max weight a truck can stop, not how much the trucks motor can phisicaly pull. the titan motor more then likely could tow much more then 9500 lbs, but it cant stop that much weight. the other thing that determines how much you can tow is the hitch you have on(must be class 4), the rear end gears(the 3.36 gears), and if you have a trans. cooler that is big enough to keep trans cool. all these things come on the big tow pkg. but yuo can get all these things sepretly and your truck can still tow that much weight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I run at altitude up to 11000' above Sea level. I Deduct 2% from the factory rating for every 1000'above sea level. So I wouldnt pull over 7000 lbs where I live.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
From the specs I've read, the offroad pkg offers the same axle ratio as the big tow. This may be to accomodate the larger tire dia. But yet they don't take into acct. the offroad pkg. when calculating towing capacities on the big tow with the same axle ratio as the offroad. (??? why not ???)

You can order the big tow with or without the stabilization option as well.

alternator output, brake size, and transcooling are all the same in all 3 trims with/without the big tow.
Even without the big tow Trans temp gauge you still have a dummy light to indicate when the trans temp is high as well as sensors that will limit the vehicle's performance.

Why wasn't the big tow offered on the XE, and why wouldn't the XE be capable of similar tow ratings if equipped with a class 4 weight distributing hitch? I'm not saying it has to hit the 9500 mark, but shouldn't it be in the ballpark?

I'm guessing the lower 6500 rating should jump about 2000 lbs , just like all the other trims/options with the right hitch.

Chief

·
Registered
28 Posts
The big weakness of the Titan in heavy towing is the relatively low GVWR. So let's say you have a 8000 lb trailer, assuming tongue weight of 800. GVWR is 6500 lbs. Dry weight of a SE Crew Cab 4x4 (for example purposes) is 5,088 lbs. Fill it up with gas and hook up your trailer. You're now up near 6000 lbs, leaving you only 500 lbs or so for people and gear. Actually your gear will have to go in the trailer. So you can have at most 3 adults of 167 lbs average each. Not too pretty.

I have an XE CC 4x2. My tow rating is 6500 and I feel that is pretty realistic. Curb weight is 4815. With a 6500 lb trailer, tongue at 650 and a full tank of gas I am only up to 5600 or so. That leaves me 900 lbs for people and gear, a much better proposition.

In a Ford Superduty, with a 3300 lb payload, this would not be a problem even towing a 10-12K 5th wheel with 6 people in the cab and their luggage in the back.

Just trying to show that while the powertrain is definitely up to it, the chassis leaves something to be desired for heavy duty towing. It is a half ton though. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Does a weight distribution hitch reduce the tongue weight to less than 10% of a trailer? Is there a general formula?

Chief

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think its 9500 lbs with big tow package. I know it sure pulls 7000 with no issued ( see picture )
Have a Jesus filled day
Greg from Mi.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ok, here's the extreme. I tow a 25' Toy Hauler. Loaded with our gear, a 525lb ATV, a 1,000lb Golf Cart, and 850lbs of water, the trailer is tipping the scales at about 9,500lbs. Add to that my big *** (300lbs), my dainty wife (1??lbs), a full tank of gas both in the truck (28 gallons) and in the trailer (36 gallons), and half a bed full of firewood (who knows the weight of that) and I am pretty much holding Nissan to it's word and then some. It tows awesome! The whole thing stops well, accelerates well, and only feels unstable when the heavier wind is present. I use an EasyLift 1,400lb Shank, 14,000lb weight distributing bars, EasyLift Single Friction Sway Control, and a Prodigy Brake Controller. Man, the looks I get towing the beast puts a smile on my face. :) I will eventually change out the "P" tires for "LT's" in the D Load Range (probably with new rims as well) and add rear airbags to better handle the tongue weight.

For everyone's information (especially the tow hounds) Air Lift Company just released a Ride Control Kit for the Titan. It's not showing on most supplier's books yet but it's "Ride Control Kit #59554" Happy Towing!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Greg said:
I think its 9500 lbs with big tow package. I know it sure pulls 7000 with no issued ( see picture )
Have a Jesus filled day
Greg from Mi.
Nice rig there Greg. Nice to see other Titan owners who are pulling the weight without issue.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hey TitanHauler,

My brother put the airlift on his Dakota last year. Not sure if it's the same product you are talking about, but they are 2 rubber air cylinders that mount between the frame and (rear axle?). He tows a 2,000 lb popup and they do a really nice job of leveling it out and/or adjusting the handling.

I have to say I was skeptical at first, but just a few psi on each side (he ran separate lines) makes a big difference.

You have a nice setup there.

With a little luck I'll be towing a hardbody like you and Greg this season. It's still gonna be a featherweight compared to what you guys have :D

Happy Hauling Guys,

Chief

·
Registered
791 Posts
Chief said:
Hey TitanHauler,

My brother put the airlift on his Dakota last year. Not sure if it's the same product you are talking about, but they are 2 rubber air cylinders that mount between the frame and (rear axle?). He tows a 2,000 lb popup and they do a really nice job of leveling it out and/or adjusting the handling.

I have to say I was skeptical at first, but just a few psi on each side (he ran separate lines) makes a big difference.

You have a nice setup there.

With a little luck I'll be towing a hardbody like you and Greg this season. It's still gonna be a featherweight compared to what you guys have :D

Happy Hauling Guys,

Chief

You got it. Just a couple of rubber bags that mount between the frame rails and leaf springs. They offer 2,500lbs of extra lift for the rear suspension. Just what I need. :) The Titan is a capable tow vehicle. My trailer is a bit heavier than the Titan should be towing but it does well and I don't tow the trailer but 1/2 a dozen times a year or so. Can't justify buying a 3/4 ton right now just for that. I continue to close my eyes and dream about a 3/4 ton Nissan Titan with a Diesel . . . ;) Hope they build it so we can put a beat down on the Cummins next. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts