Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you guys who don't Know, you need to change your differential fluid asap. I changed mine with 900 miles on my tuck and it looked like chocolate syrup. Nissan needs to get this figured out. If anyone can explain this problem....let me know. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
hey bull,

I checked mine at 3500 miles (have 7800 now) and it was fine. Could just be a fluke? Dunno, but will check it again when it quits raining.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
With some earlier build dates, the diffs were not filled completely with fluid. My fluid level was fine when I checked it at 1000 miles but it did not look fresh and had the typical stinky smell of a diff fluid. Dealer checked it again at 4000 miles and said it looked fine to them. Interesting thing is that the '05 Titan manual is now recommending 80w-140 diff oil instead of 80w-90 in the '04 manual.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
bull said:
To all you guys who don't Know, you need to change your differential fluid asap. I changed mine with 900 miles on my tuck and it looked like chocolate syrup. Nissan needs to get this figured out. If anyone can explain this problem....let me know. :twisted:
Unfortunately Bull this is very common. Low fluid level and blackened within a few hundred miles. The rear diffs are running hot and burning the oil. I'm hoping the new 75W-140 synthetic recommendations will help with this issue. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Good to see you Dale I was wondering if your computer problem was keeping you from getting on the site. Good to see you.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
it's been killing me. My hard drive went south on me and then we had company all weekend so I wasn't able to get the new one loaded up. I think I'm back, at least for now...

·
SHIFT_chicks-rule!
1,988 Posts
Caltitan said:
With some earlier build dates, the diffs were not filled completely with fluid. My fluid level was fine when I checked it at 1000 miles but it did not look fresh and had the typical stinky smell of a diff fluid. Dealer checked it again at 4000 miles and said it looked fine to them. Interesting thing is that the '05 Titan manual is now recommending 80w-140 diff oil instead of 80w-90 in the '04 manual.
How early on the build date? I haven't checked mine, but on Saturday, I changed the oil @ only 600 miles, and the oil looked like it had 3000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
baja220 said:
Caltitan said:
How early on the build date? I haven't checked mine, but on Saturday, I changed the oil @ only 600 miles, and the oil looked like it had 3000 miles on it.
Hi Deb, it wouldn't hurt to check it no matter what your build date is. Just peace of mind. Go to my pic links near my signature and you'll see one that shows how to remove the drain plugs in the rear diff just for reference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You know Nismo makes a finned diff cover/cooler for the Z. As a matter of fact thats getting installed on my Z like newxt week. I wonder if they could adapt it to the Titan. I'll have to look at the pattern difference when it comes in. FYI the diff cover is $95

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buil date is not relevent

My truck was built in September 04 wich is one of the latest build dates on this model. I don't think people should make assumptions as to the vastness of this problem. I agree with jettech, we should all check this out on our own. This is not a cosmetic problem, this is a dangerous hazard that deserves immediate attention on each owners behalf. This problem can and will eventually lead to severe accidents and I believe it's our responsibility to honostly inform each other.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT BUILD DATES.....CHECK YOUR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wasnt implying this was a cosmetic issue but rather that the diff cooler linked to above would alleviate some of the heat we are seeing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Any Dana 44 diff cover(there are plenty of options, our axle has been around for more than a few decades) will work on the rear diff, you'll have to get creative remounting the brake cable though.

I switched my rear diff over to royal purple synthetic 75w90 at about 4k miles. The fluid coming out wasn't in too bad of shape, it wasn't blackened at all, and it didn't smell any worse than normal.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I had mine checked today @ 3145 miles and they are both fine.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
MIAPLAYA said:
. I wonder if they could adapt it to the Titan. I'll have to look at the pattern difference when it comes in.
I believe the diff covers from the 05 titans will fit on the 04 models, and this cover is an aluminum finned cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jet - (or anybody else for that matter), Have you ever had an analysis done on your diff oil? I have about 4500 miles on mine after the initial change at 500 miles. I put standard dino 75w-90 back in. I'm thinking of getting one done on the diff oil and see if there's any real truth or proof to all the speculation. Color and smell are so subjective. An analysis would tell the tale....

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
No I haven't had one done. The results would be hard to interpret and probably not be all that accurate because most of the ferrous metals wind up on the drain magnet.

I would highly suggest to switch over to a synthetic 75W-140 of which Nissan has done with the 05's. That weight oil has a higher flash point and can handle the heat much better then the 90W oils.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am the only unfortunate Titan owner I know that had his rear axle replaced. I never did check the oil. After about 5000 miles I noticed an ever so slight whine that seemed to be the tranny or rear - I couldn't tell for sure. It was quiet enough that I thought maybe it was always there. After riding in another Titan I realized that only mine did this.

I took it to the dealer, they put it on a rack, put it in gear and let the wheels spin off the ground. There was a very noticeable whine then. They had to order a new differential and I had a 2004 full size Ram for about 2 weeks as a loaner. Man was that thing slow and uncomfortable. The seat felt like a flat board with a cloth on it. No problems ever since. The dealership was instructed by Nissan to remove and replace it and send the old one in. I couldn't even say if the fluid was low.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have Valvoline Durablend (partial synthetic) 85W-140 in mine. It's not a great low temp gear oil but it is similar to the full synthetic at high temps. I'm going to try the full synthetic 75w-140 at the next change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havn't read any mention of limited slip additive being used when you guys change the rear diff fluid. I do this when I change the fluid in the diff on my 94 Bronco with an Auburn LS as recommended. I havn't checked the fluid on my Titan yet.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts