Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i just installed my new rear shocks,just wanted to know if i installed correctly,also i had to replace the stock bolts with bolts from a hardware store,due to the stock ones is bit larger diameter for the new shocks so i had to buy a smaller diameter bolts but only very little in diff,do u guys think that would be ok?i don't do heavy loading or heavy towing,or should i get a heat treated bolts?thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
the shock placement looks the same as mine - not too sure about the bolt though - I would get at least a grade 5. Does it move (no matter how slightly) in the opening? if so then the bolt diameter is not large enough and will destroy the mounting hole.

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
For sure double check, and if you aren't familiar with fastener markings have a qualified parts person verify that the replacement bolt is equal or better than the OEM fastener.

As far as the bolt diameter is concerned. Could it just be a real tight fit in the rubber bushing of the shock? If so, maybe a little force and some soapy wather might make the OEM bolt fit.

Many stores that sell hardware sell cheaper grade bolts and in this situation would be prone to failure.

Red

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
^^^Yeah, what Red Alert said. Be sure you get the toughest bolts (and nuts) available. Ask for the highest grade. These bolts take a lot of torque when tightening and then more when in use. You do not want a bolt breaking on you.

FWIW, bolts from the dealer were less expensive than bolts from Ace Hardware. I cross threaded one of mine and had to limp by with one from Ace until the dealer ordered a couple sets of nuts/bolts for me. The timing wasn't good either. I had to go camping in a remote spot with that bolt from Ace and it did great. But the OEM bolt is going on ASAP.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool thanks guys,but there is no movement at all,im just worried that the bolt might break,as for the oem bolt there is no way i can fit that in without damaging the tread and damaging the shock hole.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i had to replace mine but i found some that were a 9 so i dont worry about it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Stock Bolts have a 6 so i take it they are a grade 6 and zinc plated I just replaced one of mine with a grade 8 from the HD.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I thought it was a 9 so I used grade 10. At least I think it was grade 10. LOL! Maybe that's why it was so dang expensive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
LOL i guess it could be a grade 9 also depending on how your lookin at it! I used Grade 8 Bolts to mount an engine block to engine stand lesser bolts would snap.

Grade 10 must be made outta the Black Box Material that they put on Planes!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts