Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the truck in to have 2 recalls done. 1 was the fuel sending unit and the other the ecm.
While they had her, they looked the truck over, which I appreciate, but didn't like what they found.
The service guy gave me a call and proceeded to tell me a whole laundry list of issues that they suggest I take care of....for well over $3500.
1. Both exhaust manifolds are cracked. I knew I was hearing something, but couldnt pinpoint what it was. Unfortunately, I'm at 85,000 miles and warranty for manifolds is up at 80k.
2. Breather in rear axle is plugged and rear axle seal is starting to weep. I ordered the breather and will put it in myself when it comes.
3. Tranny coolant line is starting to leak. Maybe I will do this myself when it gets a little warmer up here.
4. Tranny needed flushed. I realized this probably needed done, so I had them do it. $300.
5. They said all 4 Rancho shocks are starting to leak. (Anybody recommend some aftermarket shocks that would give me a little more height.)

While they had her, I also had them do the 2 degree timing advance. Cost $50. but I can feel a little more pep. Hopefully will save a little gas mileage.

As for the manifolds, does anyone know of an aftermarket setup that would work? I dont want to spend a couple thousand dollars and replace them with the same nissan manifolds that only lasted 80k. (I think they have been cracked for over a year.) I just wish I had picked up on the sound before warranty ran out.

Anyway, Just thought I'd post some of this to prepare anyone who might be heading in for a "free" recall fix.

·
Registered
494 Posts
1: You may be able to get Nissan to good will the manifolds since it is a known issue.
2: Skip replacing the breather with another oem unit and do the rear diff vent mod. It will last forever and will perform better.
3: Is the trans line leaking or are the oem clamps just loosening up like others have stated? If so, just replace the clamp and call it a day.
4: Nissan released a TSB recommending only d/fs and no flushes. If they flushed it with matic S then the price of 300 is a little high but probably about right since you are in Alaska. S is about $10-14 per qt at 14+ qts so you are looking at 140min for the fluid itself without the labor charge.
5: I'd check out billstein since I think they are the only ones with an adjustible shock.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
so dealers do the timing advance?

·
Registered
756 Posts
so dealers do the timing advance?
Some do at a price like OP said above...there are members that will do it for you for free(beer).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried calling Nissan North America today...but was after hours. Does anyone know of somebody there I should ask for directly?
I am pretty sure they did the flush. He said it would get run through a machine and the nissan synthetic would be put in. I was thinking J-Matic... I did notice tranny fluid at the rear of the transmission at the seal of the driveshaft when I got home and crawled under her. I hope it is just residual from the service. I will keep an eye on it though.
And they did the timing advance for $50. I notice it feels a bit quicker, or I just want to think it does because I spent $50...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just got my recall notice for the ecm in the mail on Thu. I'm kinda expecting the whole "we did this but found this while we were in there" speech.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Emissions Warranty (Exhaust Manifold) is 80K miles. Those who paid for repairs in the past, are now getting refunds as of the past few months. $50 was fair for a dealer to do T/A. Definitely do the Axle Vent Mod, which basically is running a hose from the Axle up to your Taillight and having a Plastic Fuel Filter on the end of the hose. It vents better and never gets clogged. Easy job.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Some do at a price like OP said above...there are members that will do it for you for free(beer).
cool. but out of the three forums, i've only found one other member in Indiana. lol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I was looking for where the dealership said my breather on the rear diff was plugged...not exactly. Back when I had the rear axle replaced under warranty, they never installed a breather! WHere it is suppose to be located is a plastic plug. No wonder my seal is going.
Nissan should have taken the breather out of my old axle and put it in the new one. Total BS. And now the dealership want me to pay for a new breather...which I ordered before reading about the mod.
All in all, very frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This leaking rear axel is a scam....they fixed one bearing on my 2005 under warranty. A couple of months later my local dealer told me that there were metal shavings in the differential...it was covered under warranty and they replaced the entire differential, new axles and bearings...no cost! I was told that there was a recall on the rear ends...so check that out before you pay...

·
Registered
494 Posts
There is a note for the dealers for when they replace the rear diff, they are susposed to transfer the old breather to the new axle. Since they didn't do that, I would expect that they are still liable for the repair. I'd find that TSB or whatever it was and call the local and have them make it right. If they won't, the start going up the chain until someone with a brain will make it right for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Nissan finally got back to me....they wont do anything. I shook their tree as hard as I could but to no avail. So I am going to install the breather (purchased it before I knew about the mod) and am now in the market for a new exhaust system to replace cracked manifolds.
I would love to hear any recommendations for best bang for your buck exhaust. I am thinking headers back. I dont have emissions here, but may move back east at some point, so probably want to remain somewhat legal.
I read on the site about Doug Thorley headers....or perhaps Stillen. I am pretty new to the exhaust world. I have the S&B intake and love it, so maybe time for the exhaust anyway. (OR has anyone found a way to just repair the stock cracked manifolds....I asked Midas if they could weld them and they doubted it...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts