Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a custom dual Magnaflow system last week, and it sounds great at idle and most speeds. Here's the details: 2.25" pipes from stock cats back, Magnaflow #12568 muffler (dual 2.5" in/dual 2.5" out), 2.25" pipes to the rear side exit, and dual 3" polished tips. The problem is that I'm getting some serious drone at 1600-1900 RPMs under moderate load. I've searched the forums and it seems that some of the solutions for drone include cutting off 12" of the tailpipe, or just dumping it after the muffler. The reason I did this custom install is because I wanted the dual side exit like the Nismo exhaust, so I'm not willing to give that up. I have two questions for the exhaust pros:

1) Would adding a pair of resonators (or even two pairs) help reduce/eliminate the drone?
2) If I only did one pair of resonators, would before or after the muffler be better? (I was thinking after would be better, since people mentioned that cutting the tailpipe reduced their drone).

The resonators I'm looking at are the Jones AR3514B at Summit ---> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-AR3514B/.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not a lot of feedback for me I guess.

I was kinda in a hurry to get these ordered because I want to get it taken care by the end of the week. Ordered four of those Jones AR3514B resonators listed at top, total was $69 shipped, and should get them by Wednesday. I'll post here the results of adding resonators (if anyone cares).

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would thing adding them would make it quite down a bit, but my exhaust is loud as beeeeeb but it sound fen NICE

·
Registered
334 Posts
resonator

walker B-pipes might help o'reillys stocks them,get rid of #2 cat and get resonators or go to single in duel out I run jba cat with 22" maggie and cruiseing it's as quite as stock imo and I got the walker pipes also

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went in on Friday to have the resonators installed at my local exhaust shop. When I got there, I was curious to compare the Jones Racing resonators I bought on Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-AR3514B/) to the resonators they carried on hand (brand unknown). When you look inside of a resonator, there are raised metal "louvers" that slow down the airflow a little and have holes with fiberglass inside that absorb some of the sound. Well the Jones resonators had little bumps with holes about 1/8" diameter -- pretty much a straight through design with very little obstruction. But the resonators that my exhaust guy carried had larger, elongated louvers that looked like they might actually do something, plus these resonators were 18" long vs. the 14" length of the Jones. At $60 installed each, I decided to go with the other resonators (Summit Racing has a generous return policy that I will be taking advantage of).

The resonators installed are 18" long, 3.5" diameter, 2.25 in/out, and one on each midpipe just before the muffler. After driving around a bit with them, I have to say that they did quiet down both the volume of the exhaust and the level of drone a little bit. If the volume of the exhaust was 5/10 before, now its more like 4/10. And if the level of drone was 6/10 before, now its more like 3 to 4/10. One thing I noticed is that the range of drone changed and became narrower. Before it used to be pretty bad between 1600-1900 RPM, and now it seem like its only noticeable between 1550 and 1750 RPM. I definately think these resonators helped, and at this point I'm on the fence as to whether it is still problematic enough to add more resonators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts