Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Titan LE and thought I was already running synthetic oil. Got my oil change and it turns out its not. For all you pro's whats your opinion of regular verses synthetic engine oil??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Oh man....another can of worms opened...lol. You can do a search on synthetic oil and you'll find MANY opinions. But first off, how do you know just by changing your oil that it wasn't synthetic?...You mean you bought it new and thought it came factory filled with synthetic?
I use synthetic because unlike conventions oils, it doesn't coke up or form sludge, it lubricates better with longer change intervals, and the piece of mind I get is worth the extra cost to me. Truth be told though, if you change your oil at the proper mileage and use a good filter (not a FRAM!), you'll be good to go. This is really an opinion only debate though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
^^^ Well stated.

The dino vs. syn debate is just that a debate. It is like comparing apples to oranges. If you look at Amsoils flyers on the topic they are a bit mis-leading. They do their original math on a 25k miles in 1 yr which is a single change for them but ~8 with conventional. Most companies have learned how to spin the story to make themselves look like angels while the competition is poluting the world, lol.

I would look at your driving style and climate. Then figure out what kind of change interval you are comfortable with. Most assume dino is 3k and a syn is 5k or more, amsoil claims 25k. Run the numbers and see if you are really saving or not.

One thing to remember thou, if you are changing it yourself, it is almost stupid to not run syn since the upgrade cost from dino to syn is only an additional 15 bucks which is equal to another dino change. If you run the syn for 6k and dino for 3k, you will be doing half as many changes which means half as many times crawling under the truck and dealing with the oil and etc.... Now if you are paying a shop, the jump from 25 bucks to 60 is a bit much and may not be worth it if you have coupons and time for the 3k schedule.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mobil 1 ftw!!!!! I spent $20 for a 4qt jug of Mobil 1 add $12 (i think?) for a Mobil 1 filter, its really not that expensive to do an oil change yourself with syn. Like homeboy Hudson said above, its worth the piece of mind and you dont have to change nearly as often as regular...........

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mobil 1 ftw!!!!! I spent $20 for a 4qt jug of Mobil 1 add $12 (i think?) for a Mobil 1 filter, its really not that expensive to do an oil change yourself with syn. Like homeboy Hudson said above, its worth the piece of mind and you dont have to change nearly as often as regular...........
I can't speak for every state but around here, Advance Auto stores have a different synthetic sale each month. I wait for the Mobil 1 5W/30 sale myself (just my preference folks, use what YOU like) and you get 5 QTS of oil and a Mobil 1 filter for $32. Yeah you have to buy 2 more QTS for the Titan but all my other vehicles use just about 4.5 QTS. So regardless of what you use, look around folks....synthetic or conventional...the sales are the way to go IMHO. In these hard times, I'll save a few dollars whenever possible..lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts