Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 LE 4x4 Titan, miles-199000
The engine is solid, runs strong. But there has been a riddle noise as I come off the excelerator. No oil leaks but it is burning oil. Any help? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
First, i am no mechanic. This is based on my experience with oil burning.

Four years ago I bought a used 2004 with about 135K showing on the odometer. I found out later from a Nissan dealer that records show that one or two sale transactions back, it had nearly 200K on it. Someone had replaced the instrument cluster as the one in the truck didn’t have a tranny temp gauge that it was supposed to have.

Just about 30-40 miles into a trip towing a 5000 lb travel trailer, it started spewing out oil smoke. Oil was getting by the valve guide seals. I had a valve job done and that helped, but it was still burning oil. A friend who was a master mechanic decided that it probably had bad rings and that we needed to rebuild the engine. We had a shop remove the engine and we took it home to rebuild. We found one cylinder had a broken ring and the cylinder wall was scored. A machine shop bored it out 50/1000” and we installed new pistons, rings, bearings, seals, etc. That was a lot of expense, but I have an old Titan that runs great and does not burn or use oil.

That’s my experience. I can’t say that you need to rebuild your engine, but I would check the valve train for oil leaks into the cylinder…especially if the exhaust shows oil smoke. Oil leaks into the cylinder will produce a heavy cloud of oil smoke when the engine is started after sitting for a while, then the smoke will lessen. Another thing. If you should have the intake manivold removed, you might consider rplacing the starter while the manifold is off. Then you won't face having to pull the intake manifold off in the future if you have starter problems. I didn't do that and wish i had. I did replace the water and oil pumps nd timing chains while the engine was out of the truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts