Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2004 Nissan Armada from Connecticut and need to replace the rotors and pads on all four wheels. The underbody rust (to be expected from NE trucks) is relatively light, but I will put the truck on a lift and treat the underbody while I'm changing the rotors and pads. The parts should be in early next week and I'll knock out the work on Thursday.

Question is what to do with the torque member bolts (21mm, I believe). With some regular WD-40 pretreatment this week leading up to the change, I believe that I can knock them loose with a cheater and/or mallet blow to the wrench. I plan to reuse the bolts and reapply loctite blue before bolting them in. Once the bolts are out, I will treat them with a soaking in RustBlast and cold water rinse/dry.

I cannot find the torque specs on installing the bolts. One thread I read said 155ft-lbs, which seems way, way, way too high for this bolt. Any help on the right torque settings and tips would be much appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The Torque Member bolt that holds the Torque Member on is indeed 155 ft/lbs. According to the service manual:
It is not necessary to remove bolts on torque member and brake hose except for disassembly or replacement of cylinder body. In this case, hang cylinder body with a wire so as not to stretch brake hose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, HRTKD. I'm new to the Armada/Titan, but I have changed many rotors and pads on my other cars. In those cases, I had to remove the torque member to get the rotor off. So, this is not needed with the Armada/Titan design? I always hang the cylinder heads with bungee to keep the pressure off of the brake hose while swapping things out.

I will get underneath the truck today and take a look.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's been a couple years since I took my brake pads off (to sand them down) but I don't recall them being that difficult. Certainly not 155 ft\lbs difficult.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I hope your '04 Armada doesn't have the same condtion as my Titan : The bolts holding the front calipers were galled. I had to use a hammer and cheaters all the way out, I was very thankful that the bolts did not fail. Other than light oil, maybe with graphite or MoS , there is not much you can do. Quench and tempered fasteners should have a coating like phosphate to prevent galling.
I have always done my own brake work and never had to use Locktite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts