Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A question for all you Titan owners.Do you notice that the front end shimmys A little when you step on the brakes. I have noticed A slight vibration
as I step on the brake. I have around 600 miles on her and as I was comeing to A stop sign I noticed the front end was shimming like the rotors are starting to get warpped.Does anybody else have this problem or is it just my truck?
Other than that its been A remarkable truck.Very smooth and it just keeps getting beter and better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
silverx said:
Ok so this is A problem that nissan knows about?
Yes it is. Copy the TSB, so you can have it in hand when you see your service advisor. They will take care of it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
silverx said:
Thanks Bixll I will do that tomorrow.
Let us know how you make out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called them today and they are all booked up till monday.I dont know about you guys but I have A hard time parting with my Titan :(
but I will let everbody know how it went after tuesday sometime...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I wonder what the deal is with the rotors.
I have 5000 miles on my TruLove and the braking is smooth as silk. I tow a 3000lb trailor occasionaly, other than that most driving is city.
I have read of NUMEROUS shimmy problems on various Titan sites.
I wonder if some rotors weren't hardened correctly or something?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
I have ponderd the same question as I have had no problems either. I am beggining to think that it may be driver induced. Each of us drive differently, and I imagine someone that brakes hard on a consistant basis would cause the issue to come forth easier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,346 Posts
Actually, I never noticed any shimmy problem. When I went in for my radio TSB and oil change, the dealer told me about the shimmy. So, I told him to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOt true Bixll. I barely have 600 easy miles on this truck. I have never even had it over 65 miles an hour yet. I start easy and always come to easy stops. Never any hard breaking. I like to get the most out of everything that I purchase thats why I always take care of anything I buy. I am really picky sometimes too picky but I usually get plenty of years on A set of brakes on A truck. I have never towed with it yet so I dont think it can be driver error on this one. I think its just An overlook on the nissan plant. When I called the dealership they new exactly what I was talking about and told me to bring it in on Monday.
I cant speak for everyone else but I noticed the problem from day one.I'm glad they are willing to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
My only mechanical issue has been the brake judder problem because I use my brakes more than average to commute from foothills to the lower basin daily (8 miles downhill with 55 mph zones between traffic lights). So I end up with hot brakes every morning. I had the original TSB done (1300 miles) and the updated TSB done (3000 miles). Have not changed my driving style for another 3000 miles and have not had the judder return. Maybe it is possible that with the original brake parts, it only takes a few significant braking events to build up enough heat to cause a warp in the rotors. By significant braking I mean downhill braking or braking for a light that turns red just as you're approaching an intersection >45 mph. It is also entirely possible that whoever manufactures the brake parts is not making a product that is of equal build quality from part to part. A lot of variables when it comes to exploring how the problem happens to some and not others. IMO, this is just another situation where some Titans can have a problem, but others do not, whether it be brakes, ticking sounds, power windows, leaking AC, etc...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
silverx said:
NOt true Bixll. I barely have 600 easy miles on this truck. I have never even had it over 65 miles an hour yet. I start easy and always come to easy stops. Never any hard breaking. I like to get the most out of everything that I purchase thats why I always take care of anything I buy. I am really picky sometimes too picky but I usually get plenty of years on A set of brakes on A truck. I have never towed with it yet so I dont think it can be driver error on this one. I think its just An overlook on the nissan plant. When I called the dealership they new exactly what I was talking about and told me to bring it in on Monday.
I cant speak for everyone else but I noticed the problem from day one.I'm glad they are willing to fix it.
I didn't mean to come across like that was the smswer, it was just a theory I was throwing out there. Sorry if I offended you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No offence taken bixll. I was just trying to let everyone know that I think Nissan has had A little slip up on the brakes and not the drivers. I have got to be one of the easyest drivers in the world and it happened to my truck.
But by all means I wasnt offended but thanks for saying it anyways..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took my Titan in this morning.Told the service teck I was having problems with A light shimmy in the front end when you apply the brakes.
Looked up the T.S.B on the computer and said yup it looks like we are going to have to re do the brakes in the front end.
Very friendly and helpfull.

Service guy said he was going to check if there were any other t.s.b that were on the truck and repair them also.
Nissan dealership said it should be ready to go this afternoon if all the parts were there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,246 Posts
silverx said:
Took my Titan in this morning.Told the service teck I was having problems with A light shimmy in the front end when you apply the brakes.
Looked up the T.S.B on the computer and said yup it looks like we are going to have to re do the brakes in the front end.
Very friendly and helpfull.

Service guy said he was going to check if there were any other t.s.b that were on the truck and repair them also.
Nissan dealership said it should be ready to go this afternoon if all the parts were there.
Good deal, sounds like you got a good service dept. behind you!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
silverx said:
I have A question for all you Titan owners.Do you notice that the front end shimmys A little when you step on the brakes. I have noticed A slight vibration
as I step on the brake. I have around 600 miles on her and as I was comeing to A stop sign I noticed the front end was shimming like the rotors are starting to get warpped.Does anybody else have this problem or is it just my truck?
Other than that its been A remarkable truck.Very smooth and it just keeps getting beter and better.
Guys, sometimes you might think its a vib, but its actually the tranny downshifting on you. Throw the tranny in N when slowing down, and it should go smooth. Mine does this and I thought it was the brakes, but it wasn't. It was the tranny downshifting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got A phone call this afternoon from the dealer and they said that they had checked out my truck and found that yes it did have A shimmy when you step on the brake but the T.S.B was for the older models and not my year but they went ahead and resurfaced my rotors and installed new brake lineings. Was done in A couple of hours but I decided to pick it up in the morning ..........
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top