Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 06 flex fuel titan....pretty much bone stock with 84000 miles. Lately i have been noticing it just isnt as responsive as it used to be. And when i put a load on the engine, climbing a hill, etc, it doesnt have that throaty roar it used to. Actually sounds like flem in its throat as opposed to a roar.

THen the other morning I fired it up and juiced the throttle and belched a bunch of black smoke out of the tailpipe.

Pulled one of the spark plugs and looks like its running rich to me. I'm no expert though. Really black around the rim and burnt white at the tip. also wet threads...

The check engine light is NOT on, so the dealership probably wont help. I called them and they still have not gotten back to me.

I was thinking I might sea foam at the vacuum hose, then change plugs, clean the MAF and perhaps an S&B intake.

Any Ideas???

·
Registered
97 Posts
my 2011 pro4x ran rich the day I got it. The mechanic told me this cause as part of the purchase the dealership was to swap out my cai in which he tested after but he also tested my old one that now had the oem on it and was running rich too so he looked confused. He said he gave me a 2* timing( i guess to help it run leaner) but a friend said a little bit of blk smoke came out when I rev'd it for him and we could smell it. I was also told that the sensor should adjust it if it were running rich but as I am not mechaniclly iinclined dont know what to do either and am not getting any real solutions. I was also told that all Titans run rich from the factory and will settle adjust as it is broken in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, mine is definately "broken in" already. I figured if I added more air with a cai, that would helo lean it out. the way it's running, i dont know why it isnt throwing any codes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hopefully someone can explain. I not only have a CAI but a 2* and yet still rich.

·
Registered
317 Posts
even if you dont have a check engine, the dealer can still run your air/fuel tables and tell how far rich it is and were on the band it is. you are rich 100% by what your saying.
i personally dont trust the check eng lights to come on when they should. make sure you dont have a leak in the vacuum lines or in your intake, anywhere downwind of the MAF. cleaning the MAF might help too. idk about nowadays because of the MAF and ECU, but older cars would start running rich if you didnt replace a dirty filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer still hasnt returned my call. Some service department. I am pretty sure they'll charge me to run the diagnostics on it...then tell me what it needs. I think I will check on the leaks you are suggesting and clean the MAF. Also ordering the S&B as soon as I can get a free moment. Working both ends of the stick lately.

Also...at 84000miles, does anyone suggest changing the plugs. I want to try to get it running a touch leaner before I do, but this is still early according to the book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts