Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not mine, the Titan's! LOL!

Did my first towing trip since trading my '04 Crew SE for my '08 LE Crew, and the truck did exceptionally well! The only thing I did notice was that when first hitching the trailer, the rear of the Titan sagged noticibly farther before hitching up my spring bars. I suspect the LE has a softer springs than my SE?

Background: I tow an '06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS trailer that weighs #7990 loaded with #920 tongue weight. I use an Equal-i-zer hitch with the 10K bars.

Once the bars are hooked up, the squat on the rears (and fronts) was acceptable and within 1/4 inch of my '04. For good measure, I did move the brackets up one notch for more weight transfer, but my spring bars are no longer parrallel with the trailer frame.

Without the weight distribution, the rear sagged 2 3/4 inch and the front lifted 3/4 inch.
With the spring bars on, the rear squatted 3/4 inch and the front squatted 1/2 inch.

My question is this: Would an aftermarket leaf spring helper stiffen the rear a little so I can ease off on the spring bars and thus level them out? I might be able to add one washer on the hitch head for more angle.

Thands group!

-Lab

Attachments

·
Banned
1,478 Posts
Before you add leaves to the springs, I'd suggest you get an accurate measurement of tongue weight. Hopefully you are in the proper weight range.

I would be inclined to add air-bags before I'd add spring leaves. I like the idea of being able to customize the amount of assist I get from the bags versus the springs.

Red

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 08 is a bit soft as well. With a 920 tounge weight plus whatever else might add weight, you will sag. You might move some of the weight inside the TT back behind the axles if possible but I would suggest air bags. I noticed the last time I pulled a car trailer loaded with a ~4k lb Honda Accord I had it a little too far forward the trailer axles and sagged the truck a bit.
Also if you have the stock shocks on the 08 Titan don't be surprised if you need to change them soon. They are horrible. I must have broken mine during a tow or something because now the right side rear rattles like crazy, although it still works. I can't figure that one out so right now I'm just living with the rattle. The rattle is inside the shock itself.

Other than that these 08's tow awesome.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I put on air-lift ride control air bags (spring helpers) to tow my 30' Flagstaff TT, tongue weight is not quite as much as your Jayco, and I also use the Equalizer hitch. They are the answer to your problem, you don't want your torsion bars to be unlevel. Dude, weigh that sucker and see what the loaded weight of your Jayco is, you gotta be maxed out on payload, don't mean to sound like your Momma though. The airbags will also help with that squishy, wallowing feel. If you are overweight then you have an excuse to buy a new ultra lite TT.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

The trailer was weighed in July of '07 prior to a 3 week trip from Colorado to Canada and back. It was loaded heavy in prep for a long time on the road and it came in at 7990 with a 920 tongue. Payload is the enemy in these trucks for towing, and I usually leave the bed empty. To specs, I am within my tow cap, GAWR and GCWR.

I do miss the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors (load range D) I had on my '04. It really made the truck feel more sure-footed. This may be some of my impression.

I did adjust the hitch more, and added another washer to the hitch head. I was able to level out my spring bars while maintaining my weight transfer!

Just goes to show that constant tweaking gets the job done! A new trailer would be neat, but I have yet to see one better than my 29FBS!

-Lab

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts