Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed my SC cortex programmer.. and WOW HOLY ISHHH. i am blown away with the throttle response differance. right now i have only put it on the 87 tune. my ?s were ....

1. Even tho running 87 can i run the higher octance maps using 87 and feel more?

can someone tell me.. A) am i able to advance timing? and if so what does that do since i dont understand what exactly that means. iv seen it on horsepower tv and all but what is it doing and should i do it? what are its gains? what are its draw backs?

thanks in advance guy!!
chris

·
Registered
494 Posts
You should really read thru the Cortex, timing advance and UpRev threads to get a better understanding on what each can do for your truck.

You can run the 89 or 91 maps on 87 but it may cause slight detonation and it will retard the timing. Some UpRev runners have reported doing this without issue but it isn't a recommended thing to do.

A timing advance is used to move the point in which the sparkplug fires. This can change where the piston is in its compression cycle which can cause an increase in power or a decrease. This is why people try to advance as much as possible and then knock down a few deg to be safe.

I believe the Cortex allows you to go up to 3deg advance or retard but most recommend running the 2deg at most.

It is also reported that the 2deg advance is more about off the line and under the curve power instead of peak so it helps but isn't like a supercharger or etc....

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
With Superchips, you can advance the timing 3 degrees only on the 93 tune. All the other tunes will not let you advance, only retard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts