Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to service my transmission on my 2017 Titan SV but I'm not paying the Dealership almost $400.00 to do it. $359.95 + tax and I'm sure I'll get charged for the fluid separately

I was told to drain and put new fluid in but why does the dealer offer a Flush and Fill? Is that their way of saying drain and put new fluid in?

From what I have read people say to never flush the transmission on the Titan.

What about the filter?
I have never done this so please let me know what's the best method.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's time to service my transmission on my 2017 Titan SV but I'm not paying the Dealership almost $400.00 to do it. $359.95 + tax and I'm sure I'll get charged for the fluid separately

I was told to drain and put new fluid in but why does the dealer offer a Flush and Fill? Is that their way of saying drain and put new fluid in?

From what I have read people say to never flush the transmission on the Titan.

What about the filter?
I have never done this so please let me know what's the best method.

Thanks
I'm not sure what your dealership does in their flush and re-fill, but a "normal" transmission flush is a pump powered operation in line with your transmission line hoses, and using filtered transmission fluid (recycled, I believe, but well filtered) that "completely" cleans any debris that has accumulated in the transmission. After the flush is completed (multiple volumes of transmission fluid are pumped through) the transmission is fully drained and then filled with totally new to spec transmission fluid. Since there is transmission fluid in the radiator of these vehicles, their flush includes that compartment as well. Yes, you could drain the transmission fluid and simply replace it, but unless you have access to a lift, this can be a messy pain in the butt. You should really ask the dealer service supervisor what the process is in their shop and what the advantages are over a do it yourself transmission fluid change. As to any need to change transmission fluid at all, that may depend on your mileage as well as whether you tow a heavy load or see the transmission fluid temperature at high levels in a lot of your use. If you want to keep this Titan "forever" it is probably worth doing, one way or another. Having the dealer do it also adds documentation of service that may be of some merit if you go to sell or trade in the vehicle. The transmission flush and re-fill is more involved than a simple oil change on the car, and should be done by a dealership Nissan certified mechanic, and not an assistant to an assistant, Their quoted fee should be car in and out, including replacement fluid, by the way, but you should ask that, or receive a written quote before the service anyway so you know fully what to expect. There really should be no "extras" found at time of service for this particular item.

·
Super Moderator
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what the dealership does but they said they don't change the filter. I think that would be more important because even if they do a flush it won't remove the old fluid from the torque converter. For $400.00 there's other transmission places that do the same thing for about half. Midas or AAMCO locally do the same process but I was told on the Titans to never flush and fill and to just drain and fill and if you want you can change the filter. I read that you have to get the fluid to a certain temp to make sure it's full. If it really doesn't need to be flushed I can do the normal drain and fill and I'd most likely swap the filter and pan gasket but you can't get that from the dealer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts