Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this tick noise is killing me. it sounds like its coming from the bellhousing but followed it up and its coming from the drivers side of the engine only but echos all around. figured probably the well known injector noise or maybe a valve lifter or spark arch. you can only hear it when the engine is at running temp. the warmer the eng gets, the louder the tick (almost a clunk) gets. you cant hear anything inside even under WOT (except for beautiful vk and banks of course lol).

i built a grounding kit and im going to install it tomorrow to see if it helps. im using 4AWG copper stranded wire and the activetuning directions. is there anything else i might be able to do, tricks or advise, to quiet the engine noise down? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Ground kit is the first attack. I'm surprised at how loud you illustrate it to be. Does not sound typical. Only What year is your Titan? How long have you had it Any ticking history?

On a 5.7L GMC at work, we had an unusual noise that was the totally cracked up Flexplate. I was amazed it had not blown apart upon seeing it out of the vehicle. A TSB Existed on it, calling for longer bolts to secure it.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Have you checked for a exhaust leak?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes...dealers checked the manifolds. but that wouldnt make sense since it only does it when warm. i also replaced all the gaskets to see if id get lucky even though i didnt think it had a leak. i do have banks monster though which had many gasket complaints.

im having a hard time finding a way to crimp 4awg wire good lol. still working on that one

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
yes...dealers checked the manifolds. but that wouldn't make sense since it only does it when warm.
When the manifolds heat up the metal expands and causes the crack to spread apart and let more exhaust to flow out of the crack.

Did the dealer to the smoke test to see if the manifolds were indeed cracked?

I knew my driver side manifold was cracked, but the dealer said my passenger side was the only one cracked after the smoke test. After i had them pulled off, to install Stillen LT Header's, i saw that Both sides were cracked.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still havent installed the grounds yet. decided to solder them instead of crimp...my buddy is doing it tonight cause im out an iron right now.

as for the manifold being cracked, ya...i dont trust what the dealers say. they probably didnt even really check them. its actually opposite to what you said. when the metal is cool it causes the crack to open up. when warm, it expands and fills the gap hints the reason for my worry. i have had many of cracked manifolds on my last titan and many other trucks. pretty damn sure its not an exhaust leak. if this grounding kit doesnt quiet it down, there will be another dealer run and i will ensure they check them again....just in case.

side note: i always fill up at the same mobil station every time. while i was driving there today, it was ticking like it usually does. i fill up and start it. the ticking was nearly gone??? pulled into the garage 10min later, still not much ticking. that happens every once in a while. btw, the truck has been doing this since new. well hopefully i can install the grounds soon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ground kit is the first attack. I'm surprised at how loud you illustrate it to be. Does not sound typical. Only What year is your Titan? How long have you had it Any ticking history?

On a 5.7L GMC at work, we had an unusual noise that was the totally cracked up Flexplate. I was amazed it had not blown apart upon seeing it out of the vehicle. A TSB Existed on it, calling for longer bolts to secure it.
2010 w/ 12k....its been doing it pretty much since new. didnt notice it the first week then it progressively got louder till it plateaued to the point its at now. doesnt seem to me like a "real" problem as the engine runs sound and has plenty of power. no loss compared to my 08. im also getting decent MPG at 16.5 (mainly bumper to bumper traffic). only thing is that the engine can be a bit shaky when its cold out from time to time

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked for a exhaust leak?
b*stard...i think u might be right. it has broken the plateau.....pretty sure its the damn driver side manifold.....at 12k miles! this morning, i started hearing a even louder tick sound and the engine sounded and idled like crap. sounds like a 'card and spokes' on the inside of the cab now...around the driver side windshield/dash area. and obviously on the outside as well. i already checked to make sure it wasnt coming through the speaker. taking it to the dealer on friday.

this afternoon it ran ok...could still hear the tick inside but not near as prominent as this morning. its really weird that it only really does it when the engine is warm?? makes me think it might actually be a gasket and not the manifold itself.

btw...did the grounding kit mod and that didnt help with anything except a slightly smoother shifting tranny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts