Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I got about 75% on the shifter swap here is a video of it in action, that everyone has been waiting on for ever. As you can see in the video all the parts of the shifter are gone on the column for the post part. the rest will be covered up with the new steering wheel cover. I can shift all through the gears and now I have to get the manual mode going, but that requires some complex wiring, but when I get it I will post an other video. Now time for the new dash, captain chairs, and new gauge cluster.
Enjoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice Video! So everything works except for 3,2,1 gears. Do you have to push the shift lock button all the time? If you happen to figure out the wiring please let me know. I have a console and shifter I'm waiting to put in now. Just waiting on the word.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK finally you responded I was trying to pm you, but no response. lol. Yea the shifter will go through everything on the floor shifter 4,3,2,1, but it wont indicate on the screen without the wiring. The trans still acts like its in manual mode though, what I mean is limits the max gears. So far the truck is running excellent. I just wish I could make the electrical work so it would be practically factory. Still trying though, hopefully someone on here will come along and shares some knowledge on the titan. I will help you out through the steps of the setting up the new shifter if you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive got the shifter, but Im waiting on the console. It should be here monday so Im going to start the conversion next weekend. If you could fill me in on anything I would really appreciate it. I actually took apart my dash this morning and looked at the wires and have been looking at the service manual but cant really make anything out of it. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed in the video that you had to push the button to release the shifter. Do you have to do that all the time? Or does it work with the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i have to push it right now but I dont have a service manual or wiring diagram to know which wire will go to the brake release, but I am working on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I'm right. Looking at the service manual page 241 the line coming from the stop lamp switch activates the shift lock solenoid. So really you would only need to tap into that wire to get the solenoid to work. I'm not sure but that looks like that would work. Or a wire that has voltage when you press the brake pedal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've been working on this, more off than on with work and school and stuff but there is a selonoid on the column to lock out the column shifter aswell. I've been thinking about extending the wires from the column to the floor to wire up the floor selonoid...my real problem is figuring out the 4321 selection wiring...I would just use the connectors on the column to keep factory look but dont know the lower gear selection wiring

So you can just hook up the cable and the trans works, just w/o gear indication?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I am having trouble with the solenoid cause the switch on the column completes the circuit letting the solenoid click in, on the floor shifter the switch closes the circuit loosing power and basically doing the opposite of the columns switch. Plus when I do hook it up like you would think would work, the lever clicks back, but how do you get it to click again when going from neutral to park? Im sorry Im just confused

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea well the indication works until after drive, but trans still operates normal. What year is your t?

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the looks of page 53 (in picture). The "Meter Control Unit" is the guage cluster. Wire 4 should go to 1st position detent switch on shifter and wire 5 should go to 4th position detent switch if you have a factory floor shifter. But, since we dont have that those wires are going to the Manual down and up switch. So if we wire those two wires to the detent switches on the shifter, the gear indication may work. And wire 38 needs to be grounded to close the connection so it thinks the manual mode switch is on all the time. Look it over and see what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well if the truck thinks its in manual mode the whole time the trans wont go above 4th will it?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think you need to even do anything with that manual bottom switch and its wires, I assume if I just hook up the two switch to 1st and 4th it will automatically do it... What do you think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think its worth a shot. Looks like it should work. But Im back to square one with mine. My console came in today looking like a pile of sh!t, so Im sending it back.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just wired it up and it didnt work...By the looks of the shifter you might have to have the either specific trans, or specific shifter computer. Cuase I dont see how it could work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another member on here figured the wiring out and said he would post schematics, but never did. If he figured it out, there has to be a way, I highly doubt they would have built two different transmissions. I'm still trying to clean my console up. It showed up a mess, but I did find all of the screws at least.

·
Registered
423 Posts
yea well the indication works until after drive, but trans still operates normal. What year is your t?
05. Haven't touched this in a while still. Maybe a relay to reverse polarity would fix the issue for the floor lock out. I really wish I had more time to work on this, I know I would be able to figure out a way if I had time. I will be leaving for a work trip to San Antonio in May for six weeks, maybe we can sit down one weekend and see what the other has come up with...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got an email from Beto01 explaining the wiring for the shift lock and key lock. I hope he doesnt mind me sharing this but looks like everyone needs some help with this. So here it is.

Hello,

I am very sorry for not getting back to you guys any sooner but here is what you need to get you started for the shifter. You guys have to remove the shifter from the column if you haven't done so, there is a square electrical connector attached to it that you have to disconnect and these are the main wires that you need. I removed everything and left the column bear, my steering wheel still locks and works great. Have you guys installed your center console and the shifter onto the truck? have you attached the shifter cable to it? you should have done this by now and your truck should be able to shift gears precisely by just pressing down and manually pushing the shifter lock lever. In the pictures I sent you will see the original floor shifter harness, what I did was i took that harness and cut off the end and took the other harness from the column and used it by connecting the following wires together:
Take the white wire from the column harness and connect it to the red/white wire on the floor shifter harness
Take the gray wire from the column harness and connect it to the gray wire on the floor shifter harness
Take the blue wire from the column harness and connect it to the yellow/red wire on the floor shifter harness
Take the black wire from the column harness and connect it to the black wire on the floor shifter harness

These connections will allow you to shift the lever by unlocking the coil each time you step on the brake and will indicate the parking, neutral and drive (the one with the circle around it) on the guage cluster. I am having a hard time figuring the connection for the regular drive, this is when you push the lever to the left and activates the switch to take you out of overdrive. This is not critical since the truck is always best at the overdrive mode when your on the freeway and I am still having to figure out the wire for indicating the lower gears of course you can still use them by shifting to them but it wont indicate it on the guage until the wires are connected. I have not had a chance to figure these out but by just connecting these wire you are good to go, I will however send you an update once they are figured out.
For the illumination of the shifter cover just connect the red with strip wire to the same wire color for the stereo behind the face plate and the other wire to ground, this will allow it to light up at night when you turn on the lights. These two wires should be connected to a large brown connector, i just cut off the connector. Also take a look at picture 88, this is the connection for the power plug sockets on the back of the console. I used the connector from the center jump seat that was removed and attached it to the two bottom wires and just connected it to the factory connector on the floor. I KNOW I WROTE THIS PRETTY FAST BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU DON,T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING.
Thanks,
Robert

Make sure you send him your thank you! I havent wired it up yet because I had to find the harness since my console didnt come with one. But Im am going to attemp to wire it tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, I did the wiring this morning and it didnt work. Just to get by I rigged it up alittle. I zip tied the key lock open under the steering column and wedged the shift lock solenoid open also. So now I can shift when needed and can also get the key out. It seems unsafe to do that but with the shifter being staggered its kinda hard to knock it out of gear anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts