Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to just pay 400 dollars to fix a dent or pay my 100 dollar deductable and hope my rates don't go up? I got a nice dent behind my rear wheel possibly from a shopping cart or somebody kicked it.

·
High Road Rider
1,009 Posts
i'd just pay it.

My insurance has gone up twice from little things like this.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
well, that's why you have insurance.. i would file the claim. it's pretty crappy that insurance companies feel like they have to raise your rates just b/c of one little accident. good luck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know my sister filed a claim for something like this plus got one speeding ticket and then cancelled her insurance.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree with TT05 we're paying for coverage so use it. Typically insurance companies will not raise your insurance rates for a comprehensive claim. But, they "may" find other ways to raise your premiums...

File the claim and get your baby fixed.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Over the next couple years you may find that your insurance goes UP more than your claim. These claims stick with you for a few years so other insurance companies can see that you filed them. When I lived in Texas I made a couple windshield claims and got dropped soon afterwards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For something like this I would pay for the fix myself and save the claim for something more serious, [knock on wood] as well as keep me claims free with insurance company.
I got too got a small dent in my king cab door, I took the truck to a place called "Dent wizard" they work the dent out from behind, was fairly inexpensive, and looks like there never was a dent.
I think the process only works if there is no actual damage to the paint finish.
good luck

·
Registered
612 Posts
Most insurance companies won't raise your rates until you make 2 or 3 comprehensive claims, but I agree that its best to "save" it for something more serious like a broken windshield, hitting a deer, a tree falling on your truck, etc. I have a client who does paintless dent repair. This works great because today's paints have lots of flex agent in them and the metal is a thinner guage than that of years ago. I'd go the dent wizard routine. My guy charges about $50.00 a dent, so a big dent like yours shouldn't cost more than $100.00, which is your deductible.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would say don't claim it and fix it your self. When I had a guy race behind me as I was backing out and hit him. I didnt claim the dent it put in my bumper cause I figured they would charge me more for that on top of hitting the guy. I hate when people cant wait while you backing up. sorry to much ramble. lol. Get her looking good again though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking paintless too but the body shop said it could be done but you may be able to still see some of it, they gave me a reccommedation of a paintless place and they quoted me 150 to 175 bucks and they didn't seem real confident about it either. The dent is very shallow but about 5 inches long and their seems to be a slight buckeling out at the top of the dent which is probably the issue. If it was less then 100 I would probably try it, but for that differance I'd rather just pay the 400 bucks and get it fixed right. My claims rep told me the issue wouldn't fall under my comprensive but rather my collision which I have a 1000 dollar deductable for so I won't be going through insurance.

·
Registered
650 Posts
BigA said:
I was thinking paintless too but the body shop said it could be done but you may be able to still see some of it, they gave me a reccommedation of a paintless place and they quoted me 150 to 175 bucks and they didn't seem real confident about it either. The dent is very shallow but about 5 inches long and their seems to be a slight buckeling out at the top of the dent which is probably the issue. If it was less then 100 I would probably try it, but for that differance I'd rather just pay the 400 bucks and get it fixed right. My claims rep told me the issue wouldn't fall under my comprensive but rather my collision which I have a 1000 dollar deductable for so I won't be going through insurance.

This does not seem right. According to your original post it sounds like you have no idea how the dent got there, right? If that's the case and your vehicle was parked, it is absolutely covered under your comprehensive coverage! Comprehensive covers damage caused to your vehicle by any unknown party or "act of God". Including vandalism, flood, theft, etc...

Hopefully someone else ways in but it sounds like your insurance company is trying to cheat you. It wouldn't be the first time an insurance adjuster was clueless!!! Might be time to follow your sister and switch companies. Unless they know for certain it was another vehicle that hit you, it's covered under comprehensive. Good Luck...

·
Registered
41 Posts
i do bodywork for a living and i tell people that anything under 1000$ bucks your better off paying for it your self , because your insurance compney will get there money back and then some over time ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts