Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2004 Titan 4x4 with the big tow option, About 12,000 miles. I recently noticed a very slight high pitched whine at 60 mph, It seems to coming from the rear end and only under power not coasting. It is very hard to hear, you have to turn the radio off and realy listen. I don't know truck always did this and I really never noticed . It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I recently changed the rear diff oil, It had some netal shaving on the magnet not very much. The oil looked green and was very stickey,it didn't seem to be burned or overheated. The paint on the rear diff cover is not burned or showing signes of high heat. Has anyone else noticed this sound? :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
My last Titan had this same whine. I never had a chance to pursue it before I traded it in on the one I have now but I did take it to the dealer and they were going to replace the rear-end due to the whine.

It wouldn't hurt to take it in and have the service dept. at least make a note of it just in case it gets worse, of which it probably will.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a reoccuring, not constant whine when sitting still in gear. I noticed it the other day waiting in a drive through. The next day I listened for it and nothing now its back. It's almost like a whistle, when I put it in park it stops....please tell me its not the clutch going or what ever the automatic transmissions version of a clutch is. anyone else had or have this?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
llajumpvid said:
I have a reoccuring, not constant whine when sitting still in gear. I noticed it the other day waiting in a drive through. The next day I listened for it and nothing now its back. It's almost like a whistle, when I put it in park it stops....please tell me its not the clutch going or what ever the automatic transmissions version of a clutch is. anyone else had or have this?
That sound could be coming from almost anything. Next time you hear it start turning things off and on like the A/C, blower motor, putting it in neutral, pretty much anything you can think of to do to help narrow it down. I know my HVAC blower motor makes a little whistle when it's on high/4 setting, I can also hear it outside when it's on that high setting as well.

Let us know if you have any luck narrowing it down. Also I'm pretty confident it's not your transmission, yes it could be the pump whining but I haven't heard of anyone elses tranny pump making noises as of yet. Let's hope your not the first!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts