Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some help. Two weeks ago I took my Titan to the dealership to have service done on my truck...they still have it and don't have clue as to what is wrong.

The problem started over the summer I first had a check engine code for the crankshaft pos sensor. At that time they replaced the sensor and said there was mud inside the bell housing causing the problem. Immediately after getting the truck back it threw the same code but now the slip light was coming on. I returned it to the dealership and again they said there was mud in there causing it to throw the code. Got it back and guess what the same thing happened again. This time they decided to be a little more thorough. So far they have not even mentioned anything about mud. They have checked all of the grounds, changed the engine wiring harness, checked the timing chain and crankshaft, replaced the reductor plate that the sensor reads and I'm not sure what else from there. I was told they have spent hours going through the data with nissan and still cannot isolate the problem.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? The truck is still under warranty thankfully but what will happen if they can't find the problem?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any idea what is going on with my Titan?

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
To be honest, I have not heard of these problems before. Please keep us updated as to what they do, and the success/failures in doing so.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tell them to pull the transmission and check the flex plate for cracks

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of right now they are saying it is the timing chain. I was told it was out by about 1/2". So...once they replace that I will update you on the status of the repair. Hopefully this will resolve it though.

·
Registered
559 Posts
As of right now they are saying it is the timing chain. I was told it was out by about 1/2". So...once they replace that I will update you on the status of the repair. Hopefully this will resolve it though.
Did they fix it or did they find out it was in fail-safe mode?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't picked up the truck yet but they told me that they have installed a new chain and so far no more codes. There was another person from TT that is ironically experiencing the same problem right now. Only they asked him for proof of regular oil changes to cover it under warranty. They...knock on wood have not asked that of me. He also experienced the same symptoms (slip light and crank shaft pos sensor) and was diagnosed with a bad timing chain. So I guess there are at least two of us out there with this issue. I hope this can help someone else out as it took the dealer over 3wks to sort it all out for me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi slydawg just wanted to know if the timing chains did solve your problem for slip light coming on and crankshaft pos codes please let us know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slydawg,

How many miles on your Titan? Imagine what this would have cost you if not covered under warranty.
I have an 04" also and thought I read somewhere that the timing chain was a lifetime item and never needs replacing.
The other T owner probably has an extended warranty from a 3rd party and they try to find any reason to weasel out of any costly repairs. One oil change not to their liking and it's your problem.
Bushkill is a pretty part of the country and I hunted around there when I was stationed at Willow Grove in the 70's.
Thanks for the information and I hope they have it fixed.

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Have you noticed the date of this thread? The OP hasn't logged on since June of 2010, so you aren't likely to get an answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m posting this because I had the exact same problem for 8 months and I just fixed it. I had camshaft sensor A fail and it made it so that my truck wouldn’t start when it was hot. I took it to the dealer and, on their recommendation, replaced both sensors (camshafts A and B). After that, I started getting a crankshaft sensor error, check engine, and slip light. Also, my truck ran like s$&@ above 3000 RPMs. Turn out that the dealership replaced my 2 cam sensors with a cam sensor and a crank sensor. The code was coming from the crank sensor in the cam sensor spot. And the poor performance was because the fuel Timing in one bank was off because of the wrong sensor.
I hope this saves somebody the trouble I’ve just been through. Replace all three sensors with KNOWN good parts before you start ripping into wiring harnesses and don’t trust the parts counter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts