Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, lemme just first start off by saying that i am 19 years old, living here in the dirty jerz and have been working my *** off for the past two summers to get the truck of my dreams and that dream finally came true 2 days ago. Walked into the dealer, and my parents were wanting me to look at getting a brand new 2010 Altima. Practical? Yes. Boss? not really. Long story short, test drove the Titan now it sits in my driveway :p. Its everything i wanted in a truck and then some! Drives like a dream.

It's a silver crewcab 2005 used with 62k miles on it (ill post some pic when i can). Practically brand new, shelled out 8k for her and paying the rest off but totally worth it, V8 club here i am!

***HELP***

Yesterday i took the truck to my boys shop to have him look at everything mechanically and he found a ton of problems with the seals. My rear diff is leaking, the axle in the rear is leaking. Also the front diff is leaking, and multiple pinion seals are leaking as well. I don't really know how to go about replacing all these seals or the price its gonna cost me. Don't really wanna tell my parents either cause i can hear them now still saying "buy that Altima" haha please tell me im not screwed here guys!

·
High Road Rider
1,009 Posts
Ok, so, heres what you'll need. Duct tape, a bucket of icecubes, a golf club, a 12 pack of cherry coke, and possibly a live bison.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but it could turn out to be an interesting afternoon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and tell him to fix it If you got it a few days ago there should have been at least a 30 day warrenty unless you bought as is for low price. If thats the case by some tools and save some money by doing the fixing yourself.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yep you're SOL. haha that's why you have your boy check your truck PRIOR to buying it. But live an learn...

Anywho, great choice. Where abouts in NJ? I used to live in Mount Holly. Spent lots of time in Deptford for the sunday night "car shows" which resulted into some philly street racing lol

Have fun with that leak! Did you get an extended warranty option? Emmisons is good for 80k miles, so check for cracked heads, an look up recall info for the truck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it back to the dealer and tell him to fix it If you got it a few days ago there should have been at least a 30 day warrenty unless you bought as is for low price. If thats the case by some tools and save some money by doing the fixing yourself.
No its got the 30 day, but they say it only covers the engine and trans

·
Registered
894 Posts
No its got the 30 day, but they say it only covers the engine and trans
Sounds fishy.. should cover everything. Most dealerships work this way. Unless they know about some issues, and excudle such work. Check your paperwork, see what the fine print says.

Any way you are able to return the truck? May have to pay for "millage" at something like 75 cents a mile. But if able to return it, do so. They'll probably fix any issues to keep that sale.

If you don't mind the askings.. how much you pay for the truck? If I understand correctly, you put down 8k..and probably fianced 7k?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep you're SOL. haha that's why you have your boy check your truck PRIOR to buying it. But live an learn...

Anywho, great choice. Where abouts in NJ? I used to live in Mount Holly. Spent lots of time in Deptford for the sunday night "car shows" which resulted into some philly street racing lol

Have fun with that leak! Did you get an extended warranty option? Emmisons is good for 80k miles, so check for cracked heads, an look up recall info for the truck.
yeah my first buy ever on a vehicle, live and learn is right. Im in edison right now not to far from mount holly actually haha. but yeah man ive been reading around apparently the rear diff's have problems with the seal but no recall was ever issued, none that i can find at least. Idk what to do should i keep hassling the dealer or am i gonna have to shoulder this one myself

·
High Road Rider
1,009 Posts
yeah my first buy ever on a vehicle, live and learn is right. Im in edison right now not to far from mount holly actually haha. but yeah man ive been reading around apparently the rear diff's have problems with the seal but no recall was ever issued, none that i can find at least. Idk what to do should i keep hassling the dealer or am i gonna have to shoulder this one myself
I'd probably keep bothering them till they fix it. Whats the worst that could happen besides a restraining order? They'll want to keep the sale and not get the bad publicity.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds fishy.. should cover everything. Most dealerships work this way. Unless they know about some issues, and excudle such work. Check your paperwork, see what the fine print says.

Any way you are able to return the truck? May have to pay for "millage" at something like 75 cents a mile. But if able to return it, do so. They'll probably fix any issues to keep that sale.

If you don't mind the askings.. how much you pay for the truck? If I understand correctly, you put down 8k..and probably fianced 7k?
Yeah ill probably go over the paperwork with my father tonight and see whats up. Because i cannot afford new parts or anything like that, definitely will return if possible. Put down 8 financed 11

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go back to the dealer and stick to your guys, my bet says the truck had leaking seals when you bought it. Make a point to state that they are a dealer and sold you a truck that they probably stated had no problems and was in great condition! Replacing all of the seals can be quite spending as when you replace the rear axle seals, you have to remove the rear axle bearings (and should replace them) and odds are the rear axle breather is plugged up. The front diff seal is not bad to change. Should take them an hour.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That wouldnt fly here. Does the papers state anything about a 120 point saftey inspection? Did you buy it from a real dealer or one of those road side crap holes?
Yup there was a safety inspection, i don't believe the leaks are bad enough to cause safety problems from what i read a newer rear is required to solve the problem without recurrence. Judging from the amount of GTR's they had it was no "road side crap hole". I bought a used truck that some dumb **** before me beat the piss out of. As to what vehicle i drive, well this is a "Nissan titan owners community" so what do you think big guy?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Please edit your post - No need to be disrepectful.
I second that. No name calling/flaming allowed here. Violations edited.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup there was a safety inspection, i don't believe the leaks are bad enough to cause safety problems from what i read a newer rear is required to solve the problem without recurrence. Judging from the amount of GTR's they had it was no "road side crap hole". I bought a used truck that some dumb **** before me beat the piss out of. As to what vehicle i drive, well this is a "Nissan titan owners community" so what do you think big guy?
The leaks don't mean that someone beat on the truck at all and you don't need a rear end. If your truck does not have the e-locker on it you can replace the seals and upgrade the axle bearing and mod the axle vent to fix it. I bought mine from a retired school teacher that babied it and I've replaced all of my seals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The leaks don't mean that someone beat on the truck at all and you don't need a rear end. If your truck does not have the e-locker on it you can replace the seals and upgrade the axle bearing and mod the axle vent to fix it. I bought mine from a retired school teacher that babied it and I've replaced all of my seals.
Nope no e-locker but i don't understand why my front diff is leaking at 62k miles; the rear is a different. The only time the front diff is being used is if someone puts the truck in 4wheel drive. How many times have you had your seals replaced and at what miles?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.