Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me just ask you guys this:

if you only had $500 to spend on audio upgrades, what would you do? what would be your priorities. feel free to give me specifics, like brand, model numbers of equipment. i'm fairly happy with the RF as a stock system, and i don't plan to just "go crazy" and rip it all out and customize. i just want to tweek it for higher sound quality. thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
your gunna almost have to spend 1000 to get anything descent. unless you have a crazy hook-up. if u want better sound u might wanna change out the interior speakers, boston would be my chioce, but you will need an additional amp, and then your looking at about 1500.
500 is a very tight budget, i spent 3200 on my system but i also installed subs.

·
Go fast tester
11,912 Posts
Everything is a matter of opinion. But really unless your wanting to rattle your neighbors house you can do it...but barely with 500. A good amp with built in cross overs will work fine with your stock system. You would want a couple of woofers for under the back seat to handle the base. Most amps are bridgeable for the low output. Would sound just fine like this. All the highs sent to the existing speakers and good lows sent to new sub woofers.

·
Registered
330 Posts
For $500 you can probably find a decent amp and a couple of subs. I agree that placing them under the back seat would be best. Since you have the RF system you shouldn't need more than bass anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMO, the RF system sounds pretty good but I have always had $3000+ systems in previous cars. The RF system is not a $3000 system, but with some improvements it can sound better. The biggest weakness it has is the lack of highs. If you remove the grilles at the top of the dashboard (gently pry them off evenly all around) you will see that it is not a high quality speaker. I recommend matching separates for the front doors and dashboard from a high end manufacturer (MB Quart, Polk Audio, or any other). The next part of the system that is lacking is the muddy subwoofer. That can also be replaced with a higher quality subwoofer (Kicker, MTX, JL Audio). Swapping the subwoofer should be no problem, but I have to investigate the front speaker wiring to see what changes have to be made to sound best.

·
Registered
162 Posts
systems for 500...several of my friends have done subwoofers w/ amps in their vehicles for less than 300. my friend installed 2 12 in audiobahn Le's in his trunk w/ a power cap (from best buy) and an audiobahn amp, for less then 350. one word kids, e-bay. fresh gear at a good price. also here on the island a shop does this promotional stunt where at some crazy hour of the nite everything on their showroom floor is 50% off...its 1ce a month and you hafta "know" how to find out when. but if you do, your set, but the system less than 350 would be from ebay. and u still have 150 to mess with. so go crazy ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
This past weekend I replaced the dash speakers with a pair of MB Quart titanium tweeters and the center speaker with a Kicker 3.5 inch midrange (left over from older system). There was a significant improvement in clarity and volume. The dash speakers are cheap Nissan speakers and are 4ohm so they are perfect candidates for replacing. The door speakers are Clarion 6x9 and are 2ohm. This makes them harder to find higher quality replacements, but they looked to be very good quality so those stayed. Soon I'll be tackling the subwoofer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

thanks everyone for your input....yes, 500 bucks is not a lot when it comes to sound systems. i think i too will start with the dash speakers. like i said, i'm not unhappy at all with the stock. i just want to tweek it so it's better than stock. maybe over the years i'll invest more into it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Be real careful with those RF systems...I have seen several guys on the TT board recomend NOT simply replacing speakers because the amp for the system is very underpowered. They recommend installing a new amp and bypassing or disconneting the RF amp. I don't have that system so I wouldn't know. Just thought I would pass the info along!

·
Registered
157 Posts
2 questions to this

1. Where is the RF amp located in the truck?

2. Would a pre-amp EQ work on the RF amp to help out the speakers?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
coolvette said:
Get a roady2 xm receiver :lol:
I agree, why not just add a satellite radio receiver so you can have a wide selection. I am close to considering this because I am tired of AM/FM radio being my only alternative to my CDs. My commute is 20 minutes long and I'm lucky to get one song I like between the commercials, DJ banter, and channel surfing. Just trying to figure out if $10/mo. is worth it and within budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts