Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flat tire today. It got a big hole in it. I don't know what caused it. Anyway, I replaced the spare and the tire air sensor does not turn off. I called the dealer and they said that the spare doesn't have the sensor. I have to get the tire fix and replace it. Take the car back to the dealer and they will "adjust" the computer system for the sensor light to go away. Is it true that the dealer need to "adjust" the car's computer system?

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are simply offering to disengage the low pressure alarm system temporarily so that the light stays off. This is until you repair or get a new replacement tire on the original wheel.
You don't really need to do that. Just patch the hole (or replace tire), fill with air and put the wheel/tire back on the truck.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Kinda sucks, you have to go to the dealer for a flat. Maybe they should show you how for the next one. Probably requires a programmer. Also can't use 'fix a flat'. Geez, that USED to be my favorite.

Tony is right though, most people could live with the light until the tire is fixed.

Aside from that I like the detection system. Wonder what it woulda' cost to put a sensor on the spare.

Chief

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Chief said:
Kinda sucks, you have to go to the dealer for a flat. Maybe they should show you how for the next one. Probably requires a programmer. Also can't use 'fix a flat'. Geez, that USED to be my favorite.

Tony is right though, most people could live with the light until the tire is fixed.

Aside from that I like the detection system. Wonder what it woulda' cost to put a sensor on the spare.

Chief
About $80 and that's just for the sensor. I'm sure they will charge to dismount, mount, and rebalance the tire after it's installed too.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the tire fixed. At first, the sensor did turn off. I checked the other 3 tire and found that their pressure were 40 psi. The new one at 35 psi. I increased the new one to 40 and drove for 5 min. The light automatically turn off. I am happy; eventhougt the new tire set me back $130.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
$130, OUCH. Sounds about right.

The doorjamb label on my truck says 35psi front and back. I've found on other trucks that keeping the back at 35 caused them to wear prematurely in the center of the tread. Dropped the rear to 32, kept the front at 35, and they all wore evenly. I'm going to keep an eye on all 4 of them for now and adjust them as I go along.

Jettech, Thanks for the pricing.

Chief

·
Registered
294 Posts
We just had real cold weather here. Last night I was driving and the sensor came on. I couldnt get it to reset ( it was -4 deg ). Then today as soon as it got to + 25 it went off again. sort of a weird glitch.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
Its just the cold making the tire pressure go down. When it warms back up the pressure goes up as well thus turning off the alarm.
M4ck

·
Registered
235 Posts
so if u get a flat in a titan only the dealership can repair the tire? otherwise u get the sensor light on all the time? why cant you use fix a flat

·
Registered
870 Posts
I know when I replace my tires, those sensors are getting thrown in the trash(or ebay) I check my pressure about every time I put gas in it, and the sensors aren't going to let you know when you have a blow out. I'm just tired of mine going off everytime its cold in the morning. I know you guys are just going to tell me to put more pressure in my tires, but I like to run them at 35 psi HOT, if I put 35 lbs in them when its cold in the morning, I've seen them get as high as 50 lbs when I get back from a trip and they are hot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting.....on my LE with Nav System, the NAV displays your tire pressure. Mine has been right on the money with the tire gauge.

I checked my spare and it does have the sensor. Maybe they put the sensor on the spare if you have the Nav!??!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts