Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some routine maintenance on my truck and decided to replace the spark plugs. I have 90,200 miles on the truck, and even though Nissan says the plugs are good for 104K I replaced them. Not too bad of a job, but plug #8 is a little hard to get to.
Attached is a picture of a couple of the plugs I removed. They look pretty good to have over 90K miles on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
What plugs did you go with? NGK?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NGK Laser Platinum PLFR5A-11

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thats what i thought...gonna do mine at the 100k. Im at 71k so ill be thinking about it soon..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did mine with about 107K miles on it and they looked about the same. Went with the same ones. I don't don't if it was all in my head, but I could notice a little difference in the overall feel of the truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
plugs look really good
whats the difference between the laser platinum and the Iridium plugs?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Platinum and Iridum (and Osmium and Rh) are very similar elements; as electrodes they will not have measurable differences. Not to say that an advertising guy can't dream up some wild claims.
Remember ,for trivial persuits, Rhenium has the highest melting temp of any element.
I looked in a reference and found that 1% Ir is frequently added to Pt to improve various properties ; that may be the basis of the claim.

·
SHIFT_Audio/Video_Moderator
3,954 Posts
Both the Laser Platinum and Laser Iridium plugs (OEM style) list the same characteristics concerning precise gap, anti-fouling etc.over the life of the plug. I assume the Iridiums cost more than the platinums?

Using the part finder on NGK's website, for both the flex-fuel and standard edition of the Titan engine for model year 05, they list only the Laser Iridium plug as the recommended choice.

What made you choose the Platinum plug Steve?

·
Premium Member
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what came in my Armada. They worked very well, so I saw no need to change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts