Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just took a trip up north and took my gps unit with me. i filled up the truck and reset the trip-ometer and reset the miles counter on the GPS. well it was a 2 hour ride and my truck said that i went 123.3 miles then i looked at my GPS and it said that i traveled 129.8 miles. the trip meter and the trucks odometer also traveled the same distance as each other. i then checked my speed according to my speedometer and the GPS unit. i set the trucks cruise at 80 mph and the GPS read a steady 82.7 mph. so im actually going farther then my truck thinks i am, good for me on it doesnt put as many miles on the truck but it also makes me think im getting worse mpg then i actually am and im also speeding faster then i think i am :(

so if anybody has a GPS unit, thats not part of there truck, please check to see if your speedometer and odometers are off as well. let me know what youve found

G

·
In my Armada the speed reads very close to my GPS at 75 MPH. However the odometer is off 2% (It registers 2% less than the actual distance traveled)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea mines closer to 4-5% off

·
Registered
870 Posts
For the first 5k miles or so I drove my titan, I always had my GPS on. The Truck was usaully about 4% off. Anything less than 5% doesn't really bother me that much so I never worried about it. If I was complaining about my mileage I would use the trucks odo to figure it, if I was bragging about my truck, I'd go with the higher mpg the GPS gives me. ;-)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I read about the speedo being off on some of the Titans when I first got mine. So I checked with my GPS (Garmin GPS-V) and found it to read very close to the speedo. If I remember right, it was only off by 1 mph at 70-80 mph. I have an XE non-OR 4X4, though, and I know the tire diameters on all the oe tires are pretty close, but maybe just enough between them to vary the speedo's slightly. Possibly the ecm is calibrated only for differences in gear ratios, and does not account for the slight variation in tire diameters......dunno, for sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think Nissan forgot to change the programing when they changed the tire size for the different models. I seem to have the same 4% diff.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RockyMtnTitan said:
I read about the speedo being off on some of the Titans when I first got mine. So I checked with my GPS (Garmin GPS-V) and found it to read very close to the speedo. If I remember right, it was only off by 1 mph at 70-80 mph. I have an XE non-OR 4X4, though, and I know the tire diameters on all the oe tires are pretty close, but maybe just enough between them to vary the speedo's slightly. Possibly the ecm is calibrated only for differences in gear ratios, and does not account for the slight variation in tire diameters......dunno, for sure.
check out this post on the tire size and gear ratio being different between the trucks tire packages, it actually comes out to be a big difference between the tires and gear ratios
www.clubtitan.org/postx1136-0-15.html

·
Registered
254 Posts
At least it is off in your favor!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
At least it is off in your favor!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an good bit of info to confirm your findings. I have a SE KC W/ Big tow (18" wheels) I compaired my trucks odo against a known 200 mile trip measured previously with the ODO in my Rally car. It's accurate to something rediculus like .000000000001 of a mile. I came up with 192 miles in the Titan, the same 4%. This is the first vehicle I have known to have this sort of error. At least in the negative. Most OEM's go 2-4% the other way. Oh well. I won't complain, as long as I know. Good to know it's not just my truck too!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A2GSX said:
Good to know it's not just my truck too!

Ryan

thats what im sayin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts