Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...so starting about two days ago i have a strange howling sound coming from my truck, 04 2 wheel drive crew cab, about 88k. it sounds just like the noise made when you blow over an open bottle...i'm assuming it's random wind noise, but i can't figure out from where. it's surprisingly loud, can hear it over the radio with it at a moderate level....it only happens at 25mph...on the gas, on the brakes, coasting...doesn't matter, right at 25 it does it but nowhere else. i do have a bad shock up front that i need to replace, makes a god awful sound over speed bumps but only sometimes, and my tires (revo's) are pretty much right at the wear bars. is it possible it's the tires?

any advice appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no suggestions from anyone???

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Well, since you're 4x2 you can rule out the differential being the problem. Wheel bearing?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Worn tires can howl.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Noise...

hey guys...so starting about two days ago i have a strange howling sound coming from my truck, 04 2 wheel drive crew cab, about 88k. it sounds just like the noise made when you blow over an open bottle...i'm assuming it's random wind noise, but i can't figure out from where. it's surprisingly loud, can hear it over the radio with it at a moderate level....it only happens at 25mph...on the gas, on the brakes, coasting...doesn't matter, right at 25 it does it but nowhere else. i do have a bad shock up front that i need to replace, makes a god awful sound over speed bumps but only sometimes, and my tires (revo's) are pretty much right at the wear bars. is it possible it's the tires?

any advice appreciated, thanks
I've not placed the noise of an open bottle blown over...

I've got to go with what's said, tires.

If it changes pitch, then check axle seals, fluid levels, brake pads...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm...it doesn't really sound like a wheel bearing...it literally sounds exactly like when you blow over a bottle top...very strange. i'm thinking it has to be the tires but it's just strange that it would only do it at 25 mph...plus, the only tire sounds i've ever heard have been a faint roar..not necessarily a howl, lol

thanks, and i'll let you all know if it goes away with new tires

·
Registered
132 Posts
Empty Coke bottle behind/under the right rear seat? :)
I had a howl variable with the A/C blower speed and found that the cab exhaust vent in that location was partially blocked.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Air blowing over empty bottle,, that's how I would explane the noise I hear at 51 mph. and only when roads are wet.. Dealer has no idea..

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Sounds like an aerodynamics problem not a mechanical problem to me. I've read postings where the mirrors were causing noise.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mirriors making noise.. I love my mirriors..Those Dumbo Ears,, garage door altering,, mail box devistitors and head level curb feelers..
Now wet road related harmonic speed warning devices that are heated,, power adjustable,, extendable,,retractable and even exterior handles..

They have been houlling at me from the beginning..

Makes complete sence..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts