Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have the almighty leaking rear axle which I would like to change myself which it appears do-able. My "stupid" question is....do I have to drain the rear diff fluid first before doing this repair?

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Looks like I have the almighty leaking rear axle which I would like to change myself which it appears do-able. My "stupid" question is....do I have to drain the rear diff fluid first before doing this repair?
If it were me I would. With a leaky diff I would be scared that that the gears or something may have gotten hot and you might find some metal shavings in there. If you are under warranty and a 2005 or older then Nissan might replace you're rear axle with a 08 axle assembly for no cost.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Unfortunately I have a 2006 that is out if warranty.
You have about the same luck as me. When I had my 04 I started having leaky seals so I decided I would buy the bigger aftermarket cover to better cool the diff. 2 weeks after I did that and repaired my seals Nissan started doing that work for free

· Registered
549 Posts
You can do the repair without draining the diff but as mentioned before, I'd defiently pull the cover to make sure the gears and still looking nice you have no metal chunks floating around.

Also, I am unsure if you know this but you are going to need to cut the old bearing off first, replace the seal and then press on a new bearing. This may be more then a standard DIY job but is defiently doable if you have the proper tools.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
You can do the repair without draining the diff but as mentioned before, I'd defiently pull the cover to make sure the gears and still looking nice you have no metal chunks floating around.

Also, I am unsure if you know this but you are going to need to cut the old bearing off first, replace the seal and then press on a new bearing. This may be more then a standard DIY job but is defiently doable if you have the proper tools.
Meant to say that earlier. Thanks for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.